Achates Power has developed radically improved internal combustion engines that increase fuel efficiency, reduce greenhouse gas emissions AND are lower cost. Founded in 2004 with the mission to build better, more efficient engines, the company has over 50 employees, almost all in-house engineers and scientists focused on applying their proven technical know-how and expertise, coupled with the industry's leading-edge testing, simulation and analysis tools.
The Achates Power opposed-piston, two-stroke, compression-ignition engine is key for the future of clean, efficient and cost-effective passenger- and commercial-vehicle transportation.
- Can comply with the toughest emissions standards in the world - EPA10 and Euro6
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Eliminates cylinder head, which reduces heat loss
- Eliminates valve train, which reduces frictional loss
- Has a breakthrough combustion system
- Has an advantageous stroke/bore ratio
- Has fewer components
- Uses less raw material
- Uses conventional materials and manufacturing processes
- Has a smaller displacement
- Eliminates components like the valve train and cylinder head
To date, the engine has demonstrated a fuel efficiency improvement of more than 20 percent compared to the published performance data of one of the best clean diesel engines (approximately a 55 percent improvement relative to comparable gasoline engines).