Form Energy is a team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems to make clean energy available even when the sun sets and the wind stops blowing. We are also developing a new class of analytical software tools to understand storage requirements and optimal operation in high renewable grids, which we call Formware™. Form’s combined hardware and software solutions have the potential to transform the electric grid by making renewable energy dispatchable year-round. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation and joy. We are looking for world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy and create a renewable future!
We seek a Development Engineer to implement experimental plans and perform research to improve the performance of our battery components for long-duration energy storage systems. This is a hands-on role in which you will prepare, characterize, and test new battery component materials. The Development Engineer will coordinate testing activities for the Cathode Development Team using internal instruments and external characterization contractors. This position will work closely with materials processing, performance testing, and prototype development engineers to improve sub-component performance, quality, and scientific understanding.
The successful candidate will have experience in structured experimental planning, design of experiment (DOE) and other statistical experimental techniques, materials characterization, root cause analysis, and ideally, but not essential, experience in electrochemical testing.
What You'll Do
- Coordinate with our Tech Operations team to manage battery test workflow and test channels.
- Design, execute, document and analyze experiments to evaluate the performance of new materials.
- Evaluate component-level performance using custom designed test apparatus and electronic test equipment.
- Work with external vendors to qualify incoming products and develop materials specifications.
- Generate and write standard operating procedures for new or routine build and characterization efforts.
- Use Design of Experiment and other statistical tools to deliver high confidence, capable data.
- Prepare samples for in-house and external characterization efforts.
- Analyze challenging, non-standard samples using SEM, EDS, optical microscopy, XRD and BET
- Interpret ex-situ characterization (i.e., SEM, EDS, ICP, XRD, BET) data and collaborate with external specialists and consultants to accelerate materials development
What We're Looking For
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- BS (required) and MS (preferred) in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related field.
- 2 - 5 years of industrial research experience preferred.
- Direct experience setting up and maintaining battery tests preferred.
- Direct experience specifying experiment design, testing hypotheses, and interpreting results.
- Ability to teach and mentor co-workers on new methods and practices.
- Comfortable analyzing enormous datasets with scientific programming languages, such as MATLAB, Python, or JMP Scripts.
- Wet / inorganic chemistry experience is a plus.
- Experience with startups or hands-on personal projects also a plus.