The Digital Systems team is responsible for designing and architecting the electronic and software systems for the next generation vehicles with full autonomous driving capabilities, and also developing core components (including hardware, software, tools) from the ground up. Our mission is to innovate next-generation vehicle architecture and make it happen on mass-produced vehicles.
NIO is seeking a Principal Software Architect for its North American R&D Center based in North San Jose. The Architect will pioneer the Next Generation Central Compute for NIO’s Software Defined Vehicle Stack – a complex system of OS, Software, ECs, Middleware, Networking and Cloud Services. The Architect will lead research, from initial POC into design and delivery, against a game-changing strategy for NIO’s fleet of Luxury, Intelligent Vehicles, taking NIO into more autonomy.
- Design, Architect, and Deliver end-to-end Next Generation Systems Software, Frameworks and Tools related to Central Compute for NIO's Automotive Platform.
- Perform R&D into Proof of Concept, designing next generation Central Compute advancing NIO's Systems Software Platform and Vehicles into greater autonomy.
- Lead the design of scalable software platform (including vehicle operating system, hardware abstraction, middleware) for intelligent vehicles.
- Study key technologies related to Software Defined Vehicles, such as virtualization, redundant networking, robotic software frameworks, then propose and socialize innovative yet practical software solutions, tools and roadmap.
- Deliver on technical documentation.
- Follow industry trends and study competitors’ technical stacks.
- Partner with engineering teams to understand real-world constraints and help deploy new designs on mass produced vehicles.
- Promote common software paradigms and best coding practices to engineering teams.
- Mentor engineers across the greater engineering organization.
- 5+ years Software Architecture experience and Research, Design and Delivery of High Performance Computing products.
- 15+ years software development experience delivering complex systems and platforms (low-latency, high-throughput).
- Specialist in Middleware Development and Hardware and/or Platform Abstraction.
- Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related Technology degree.
- Established technologist with hands-on experience with Operating Systems frameworks development and networking.
- Strong systems thinker with deep understanding of real-time, embedded systems.
- Experience in prototyping, architecture design tools and documentation.
- Great communication skills. Ability to influence and socialize technical ideas across the engineering organization.
NIO Inc. is a pioneer in China’s premium smart electric vehicle market. Founded in November 2014, NIO’s mission is to shape a joyful lifestyle. NIO aims to build a community starting with smart electric vehicles to share joy and grow together with users. NIO designs, jointly manufactures, and sells smart premium electric vehicles, driving innovations in next-generation technologies in connectivity, autonomous driving, and artificial intelligence. Redefining the user experience, NIO provides users with comprehensive and convenient power solutions, innovative Battery as a Service (BaaS) program, and other user-centric services. NIO began deliveries of the ES8, a 7-seater flagship premium electric SUV, in China in June 2018, and its variant, the 6-seater ES8, in March 2019. NIO officially launched the ES6, a 5-seater high-performance premium electric SUV, in December 2018 and began deliveries of the ES6 in June 2019. NIO officially launched the EC6, a 5-seater premium electric coupe SUV, in December 2019 and began deliveries of the EC6 in September 2020.Equal Employment Opportunity
NIO is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law. NIO US is an E-Verify employer.