Form Energy is a team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems to make clean energy available even when the sun sets and the wind stops blowing. We are also developing a new class of analytical software tools to understand storage requirements and optimal operation in high renewable grids, which we call Formware™. Form’s combined hardware and software solutions have the potential to transform the electric grid by making renewable energy dispatchable year-round. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation and joy. We are looking for world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy and create a renewable future!We are looking for a Senior Battery Engineer to aid in the electrochemical performance efforts of Form Energy’s long duration energy storage system. The Senior Battery Engineer will be responsible for the specification and coordination of experiments and carry out their execution to advance the performance and understanding of Form Energy’s core energy-storing reactor. Specifically, the Senior Battery Engineer will drive the understanding of full cell performance under a wide range of operating conditions. This role will work within a highly interdisciplinary team, comprised of materials scientists, chemical engineers, and mechanical engineers toward Form Energy’s performance and integration efforts. The role is anticipated to be primarily hands-on, with >50% of time spent working in the lab. The ideal candidate will have practical experience with electrochemical devices while exhibiting a scrappy, interdisciplinary problem-solving attitude.
What you'll do:
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes
- Lead specification testing development and synthesis of results to inform cost-performance tradeoffs
- Use Design of Experiments (DOE) methods to drive understanding of full cell performance and set operational limits for novel electrochemical systems
- Provide regular data updates and coordinate data reviews with the technical development team
- Specify, execute, and interpret experiments and results to quantify electrochemical performance, as well as execute electrochemical validation tests
What You'll Need:
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Degree (BS, MS, PhD) in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field
- 7+ years experience (academic + industry) developing electrochemical energy storage or conversion systems (i.e., PEM fuel cells, SOFCs, flow batteries, chlor-alkali reactors, alkaline batteries, lead-acid batteries, or lithium-ion batteries)
- Has deep practical experience with electrochemistry
- Experience with developing and validating tests to probe electrochemical cell performance under a variety of conditions
- Experience leading the statistical design of experiments (DOE) in an industrial research setting
Utility-Scale Energy Storage
Want us to tweet your job? Please write your organization's twitter username below (just the username, please do not add the '@')