Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric CO2 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won’t give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution—from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts. Want to join? Check out the job opening and requirements below:
Impossible Foods is seeking a mission-aligned Senior R&D Manager, to join the Product Innovation Department - an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, designers, and chefs. We are looking for a curious, analytic, collaborative, and creative “can-do” problem solver that enjoys building innovations, and a deep expertise in technology development. You will be leading a team to create technological innovation to drive new product advancements. We are looking for a leader who can inspire, generate ideas, manage a team, and drive novel products forward.
- Lead a team of scientists and research associates to build innovations.
- Create new delicious and nutritious plant-based meat products to delight consumers.
- Use rigorous sensory and instrumental assays to guide progress.
- Outside-the-box exploration: playful exploration and de novo prototyping.
- Turn discoveries into innovations.
- Research and develop new food technologies (flavor, texture, etc.).
- Understand ingredients and processes to create new product attributes.
- Proactively collaborate cross-functionally and manage multiple projects that adhere to fast timelines, including lead cross-functional teams.
- Mentor and managerial guidance to scientists and research associates.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: https://impossiblefoods.com/careers/notice. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Material Science, Food Science, Chemical Engineering, or similar field.
- Many years of post-PhD experience innovating and developing new technologies.
- Experience managing a team.
- Passionate about creating new products that meet consumers needs.
- A proven record of initiative, innovation and research productivity.
- A strong commitment to Impossible Foods’ mission.
- Creative and collaborative problem solver.
- Experience in flavor chemistry and/or new textured material is a plus.
- Experience with designing and conducting sensory testing is a plus.
- Self starter with the ability to thrive in a diverse, dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing a team with strong mentoring abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Inclination to challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions.