Boston Meats is revolutionizing the food industry by solving a major global challenge: how to make meat production ethical and sustainable. Going beyond the existing plant-based burgers, we are developing whole cuts of cultured meat – a process where meat is grown without the animal – using technology developed at Harvard University and the Wyss Institute. This will transform how the world consumes meat and protein.
We are seeking a Biopolymer Chemist or Material Scientist to immediately join our team and contribute to the R&D of protein scaffolds manufacturing for cell cultured meat. You must have a strong knowledge of protein or polymer chemistry and their processing. In your critical role, you will lead the production and characterization of protein/polymeric scaffolds as well as bench-level scale-up studies to transform our proprietary manufacturing method into a commercial-ready process.
- You are a materials development rockstar – everyone fights to have you on their team.
- You have 4+ years of experience and a proven track record of synthesizing biopolymers or extracting proteins, either in industry or academia.
- You have designed and carried out benchtop to pilot scale-up of polymer or protein production and processing methods.
- You are well-versed in polymer structure function relations and characterization.
- You are a scientist/engineer first and foremost but have other skills as well – you can interface comfortably with vendors, partners, and investors. You are ready to wear many hats and get stuff done.
- You either have existing knowledge or interest in food chemistry, formulation, and processes used in food manufacturing.
- You want to grow with the company, support new hires, and, over time, manage a team of passionate individuals like yourself.
- You have a passion to change the world for the better. You are not just looking to cash a paycheck – what you do for work matters to you deeply.
- You’ll develop chemistries and processing methods for both the production of protein/polymer scaffolds and bench to pilot scale-up efforts.
- You’ll characterize and benchmark protein/polymer products using both established, industrially relevant tests as well as new approaches developed in-house.
- You’ll preserve all forms of intellectual and material property generated from the above activities, including writing protocols for novel processes, staying up to date with the relevant IP landscape and state-of-the-art technologies, writing patents, and supporting buildout of our company’s IP strategy.
- You’ll work with vendors to identify and procure new technologies and capabilities.
- You are a core member of the team. We rely on your contribution and resourcefulness to drive the success of our common mission.
At Boston Meats, we are deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion. Our goal is to create an environment and company culture where people from all walks of life can come together in an inclusive manner and be an amazing force for good!