Boston Meats is revolutionizing the food industry by solving a major global challenge: how to make meat production ethical and sustainable. Going beyond the existing plant-based burgers, we are developing whole cuts of cultured meat – a process where meat is grown without the animal – using technology developed at Harvard University and the Wyss Institute. This will transform how the world consumes meat and protein.
We are seeking a Food Scientist to immediately join our team and help develop a new class of plant-based alternative meat products. You should have an expert understanding of food ingredients and their interactions to create products of desirable taste, texture, and cooking properties. In this critical role, you will lead the formulation of our finalized products and help showcase the superiority of our approach.
- You are food product development wizard, having matured food products from the bench through piloting stage all the way to market.
- You are well-versed in meat, food, or flavor chemistry on a molecular level.
- You are an expert in food processing technologies and equipment for plant ingredients. You understand food engineering, analytical testing, and processes used in food manufacturing.
- You are an experimentalist first and foremost but have other skills as well – you can interface comfortably with vendors, customers, and investors. You are ready to wear many hats and get stuff done.
- You are well-versed in meat, food, or flavor science on a molecular level.
- You want to grow with the company, support new hires, and, over time, manage a team of passionate individuals like yourself.
- You have a passion to change the world for the better. You are not just looking to cash a paycheck – what you do for work matters to you deeply.
- You’ll lead the development of a new class of food products leveraging our in-house manufacturing capabilities as well as commercial systems.
- You’ll interpretate customer needs to inform the company’s core mission of creating alternative meat products with amazing taste, texture, and cooking properties.
- You’ll design, build, and test benchtop and pilot plant experiments, gathering and analyzing data, documenting and reporting results, and making strategic recommendations for future product development.
- You’ll iterate constantly on food product formulations, with both hands-on and digital tools.
- You’ll preserve all forms of intellectual and material property generated from the above activities, including writing protocols for novel processes, staying up to date with the relevant IP landscape and state-of-the-art technologies, writing patents, and supporting buildout of our company’s IP portfolio.
- You’ll work with vendors to identify and procure new technologies and capabilities.
- You are a core member of the team who will lead our food science initiative. We rely on your contribution and resourcefulness to drive the success of our common mission.
At Boston Meats, we are deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion. Our goal is to create an environment and company culture where people from all walks of life can come together in an inclusive manner and be an amazing force for good!