Form Energy is a team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems to make clean energy available even when the sun sets and the wind stops blowing. We are also developing a new class of analytical software tools to understand storage requirements and optimal operation in high renewable grids, which we call Formware™. Form’s combined hardware and software solutions have the potential to transform the electric grid by making renewable energy dispatchable year-round. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation and joy. We are looking for world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy and create a renewable future!
We are seeking an experimental scientist to join the internal Form Futures group, which develops early-stage ideas that could later be incorporated into our primary product or become a second product. This R&D Scientist will join a small team, building on existing results to further the capabilities of an electrochemical system. The ideal candidate will dive into hands-on lab work, both following established protocols and developing new ones. This lab work may include building cells and cell components, maintaining and troubleshooting cells while cycling, and performing end-of-life characterization. Experience with materials characterization techniques such as XRD, ICP, and BET is a plus. This candidate is safety-conscious and works with attention to details, to documentation, and to learning. We use Python for scripting; the ideal candidate will be comfortable using some engineering coding language to write scripts for analyzing and visualizing data and will be prepared to learn Python if needed.
What you'll do:
- Design and execute experiments to answer specific questions
- Write scripts in Python to analyze and visualize data
- Improve established procedures for building test cells
- Characterize cells in order to build mechanistic understanding of the systemWork with mechanical engineers to design new test fixtures
- Work towards clear milestones
What you'll need:
- BS required in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics or similar field
- Experience (including student research) doing lab-based experimental work
- Experience working in interdisciplinary teams
- Fluency in Python, Matlab, or R for analyzing data
- Experience designing experimental instrumentation and fixtures
US work authorization is required.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.