Rise to the challenge of climate change with a team that has the heart and the resources to deliver.
Form Energy is developing and commercializing giant, inexpensive, long-lasting batteries that can be located anywhere in the world and plug into the existing infrastructure that generates electricity. These batteries will reshape the electric system, making it possible to fully rely on renewable energy year-round, eliminating the need to burn coal and gas for electricity. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category-leading investors including Coatue, Energy Impact Partners, and Breakthrough Energy Ventures.
We appreciate the beauty in creating something meaningful. We also understand that people thrive in a culture that cares about collaborative relationships and mutual respect. Our executive leadership and investors are aligned and support the allocation of significant time and money towards equity, inclusion, and diversity. Form Energy is also committed to addressing climate justice while advancing technology.
Join Form Energy to amplify your impact and feel immensely proud at the end of the day.
We are looking for an experienced Controls Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Robotics Engineer or Electrical Engineer for our facility in Somerville, MA. The role will lead design and deployment of new infrastructure, equipment and processes in support of the scale-up of our battery development and test capability. An ideal candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of technicians, engineers, scientists and our facilities team to understand business needs, scope, develop and deploy new infrastructure using both in-house and third party resources. The ideal candidate will have a strong intuition for mechanical and electrical design, hands-on shop-floor experience and will be highly motivated to improve our current processes and designs. They will be able to steer a project from design concepts to implementation as well as exhibit a desire to teach and strong communication skills both within the team and with external vendors.
What you'll do:
- Own the design, build and implementation of test and technical infrastructure to support battery and component development.
- Lead the design, verification and implementation of customized test stands to support a significant scale-up of development and testing, meeting an aggressive schedule and delivering high quality work-products.
- Collaborate with technical and facilities team to develop specifications, source and deploy new equipment.
- Upgrading current equipment with simple control systems upgrades which can be adjusted as pilot processes are developed
- Work with technical teams to design and deliver equipment to scale up existing processes by an order of magnitude.
- Lead vendor teams to design and deploy new capabilities when internal resources lack expertise or bandwidth to do so.
What you'll need:
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- 6+ years of applicable design and engineering experience in a fast paced, results driven industry.
- Demonstrated record of leading design and deployment projects for custom equipment or test systems.
- Experience understanding and making tradeoffs between scope and requirements vs. schedule and budget.
- Comfort managing third party vendor relationships to deliver outsourced services and projects on time and budget.
- Familiarity with infrastructure for test labs, prototyping spaces or small volume manufacturing cells and lines.
- Automation architecture, design and execution.
- Ability to complete rough mechanical designs for prototype process and equipment.
- Basic knowledge of electrical engineering in order to design and troubleshoot equipment as necessary.
- Experience with industrial automation hard- and software as well as communication protocols and standards.
Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.