WHO YOU ARE
You are creative, diligent, rigorous, insightful and hands-on. You understand the synthesis, scaleup and production of novel, advanced materials. You will design and develop chemical and physical processes to manufacture materials for Li-ion batteries. You will be on a team surrounded by individuals with diverse backgrounds, but with a similar goal. We start with first principles, develop new materials, and deliver processes through pilot scale development to commercial production. You will leverage your previous experience in materials synthesis & scaleup to collaborate with a team of Process, Equipment, and Manufacturing representatives and successfully deliver new industrial facilities on a multi-phase, multi-year timeline.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Understand specific materials synthesis, characterization, and handling methods for novel particulate materials. Provide expertise to the team for success in day-to-day operations containing these materials.
- Design, develop, and validate chemical and physical processes utilizing industry best practices
- Originate clear and detailed Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) documents such as mass and energy balances, specification sheets, piping and instrumentation diagrams with supporting process calculations
- Research, recommend, specify and qualify equipment necessary for safe and efficient operation
- Plan & execute designed experiments (DOEs) at various process scales and perform process modeling to elucidate the underlying mechanism, kinetics, and transport of production processes
- Investigate material characteristics and process/device performance relationships to recommend continual improvement and control strategies
- Design to, and work within, and help create Sila best practices
- Analyze and present data to create understanding and deliver actionable information
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- M.S./Ph.D. Chemical Engineering with 8+ years of industrial processing experience
- Understand asset operation and troubleshooting: wiring, mechanics, and instrument operation
- Be a conscientious, curious, and a deliberate thinker/actor
- Desire to work with/for a team and ability to solve problems independently
- Materials science and engineering R&D experience would be nice
- Proficiency with process simulation or statistical process control would be nice
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a laptop, copier/printer machine, etc.
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Repetitive use of hands - light to forceful handling of material
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes