Does working for a fast paced, growing company that is making a difference in our environment excite you? Do you have a passion for making our environment better for this generation and the ones that follow? Let’s make a difference together. Join our team!
The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for commissioning and design of PV and ESS projects as providing technical expertise in the interconnection of distributed energy resources (DERs). This role requires an electrical engineer with experience in electrical infrastructure up to 35kV, including in-depth knowledge and expertise in SCADA, protective relaying and controls, and a strong working knowledge in applicable national codes including NEC and NESC. The Senior Electrical Engineer will work closely with the Power Engineering and Design Engineering teams.
- This position reports to the Manager, Electrical Engineering and will work closely with Power Engineering and Design Engineering to design and commission commercial, industrial, and utility-scale PV+ESS designs
- Responsible for preparing and managing witness test procedures as well as overseeing commissioning and witness testing in the field
- Review medium-voltage equipment tests, factory tests, and equipment shop drawings for switchgear, transformers, reclosers and other major electrical equipment
- Review single line diagrams, three-line diagrams, and site layout designs for compliance with code, best practices, and utility requirements
- Perform advanced electrical modeling in ETAP and AmpCalc to coordinate system protection, determine fault-duty ratings, and calculate arc-flash hazards
- Manage 3rd party consultants performing PSCAD and PSSE modeling
- Manage scopes of work for 3rd party commissioning engineers
- Support the Power Engineering group in reviewing, analyzing, and interpreting utility pre-screen reports, System Impact Studies, and Interconnection Service Agreements
- Support the Power Engineering Group in technical utility negotiations and support implementation of non-wires alternatives, selective curtailment, and other grid-edge technologies
- Provide technical support to Nexamp development, EPC, and O&M departments for the entire life cycle of a project including development, permitting, construction, and asset management phases.
- Train and mentor junior engineering department personnel, develop design standards and procedures, create design drawing libraries, and conduct project design reviews for engineering department
- Independently perform site visits for commissioning and witness testing
- Manage new product research and implementation
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and ethical conduct
Ideal candidate must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, results-oriented, and operate well in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering required
- 4+ years of electrical engineering experience required
- 2+ years of PV experience preferred
- EIT certification required, PE preferred
- AutoCAD software proficiency required
- ETAP, SKM, or AmpCalc modeling experience required
- PSSE, Aspen, or PSCAD modeling experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of industry standard design codes such as National Electric Code, International Building Code, International Fire Code and other industry standards
- Strong knowledge of electrical principles, including medium voltage distribution, protection system coordination and relaying principles
- Ability to work as part of a fast paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% for commissioning and witness testing
- Valid Driver’s License or ability to obtain same
PERKS & COMPENSATION
Not only will you get to work with a group of innovative, dedicated, and motivated peers, you will also have access to all the benefits that Nexamp Offers! This includes: our competitive compensation package; a 401 (k) employer-match; health, dental, & vision insurance with company contribution; Flexible Paid Time Off; Commuter Benefits and Cell Phone Reimbursement; as well as a Fun, Collaborative, Downtown Office Environment! We provide healthy snacks, coffee, in-office yoga sessions, volunteer opportunities, company outings, and more!
NEXAMP VALUES AND MISSION
Building the future of energy so it is clean, simple and accessible
Nexamp is building the energy infrastructure of tomorrow and reinventing the way people interact with the electricity that powers their lives. By deploying a distributed network of locally sourced clean energy, we seek to reduce the negative effects of climate change. Our team’s diverse experience drives innovation from the ground up and with a singular passion: to deliver an accessible and sustainable energy future for all.