VP/Principal, Investment Team
Generate Capital is hiring a VP or Principal to continue growing the market-leading portfolio of sustainable infrastructure projects – from thesis origination through deal execution and the management of third-party relationships. Reporting to a Managing Director, the mission of this role is to provide leadership managing a team of investment professionals to help us drive our investment decisions and maximize returns for our shareholders.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable, and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are an entrepreneurial and driven investor with impeccable values, standard-setting empathy and a high-speed mental clock; and you have consistently demonstrated that you are dedicated to making everyone around you better every day. You are committed to finding, structuring and closing the best deals in sustainable infrastructure working with leading companies and other professionals to prove that sustainability can achieve market-leading returns, and your good judgment has been a key to your successes.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as a VP/Principal on the Investment Team
- Deal sourcing and screening
- Due diligence
- Managing and driving deal closing
- Relationship management with potential and current partners
- Building asset operations plans to achieve the business case and expected returns
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- History of working in the sustainability sectors, with a deep understanding of renewable resource markets, lifecycles and technologies (including electricity markets, water markets, waste systems and agriculture)
- Strong executive presence with an ability to build trusted relationships with partners, customers, lenders, service providers and investors
- A history of measurable achievements (i.e., track record) as an investor in Generate’s current or future focus sectors or sub-sectors including an ability to generate new investment ideas to produce attractive risk-adjusted returns
- Knowledge and track record of underwriting and structuring several investment securities, including project/sponsor equity, mezzanine debt, corporate equity, senior debt, tax equity, etc
- Proven track record of leadership, demonstrated by a strong followership from junior colleagues and peers with exhibited success hiring, leading and motivating highly- effective teams, ideally with experience managing people with diverse backgrounds and skillsets
- Comfort with corporate strategy analysis frameworks and data-driven decision-making
- Proven ability to work within a multifunctional organization that includes investment teams, asset management, legal, human capital, and finance.
- A willingness to constructively express dissent to senior executives
- Ability to nimbly move between widely varying functions—analytical to creative; strategy to execution
- Ability to adjust quickly to evolving technology and market circumstances and comfort with the inevitable uncertainties involved in leading an investment team in a pioneering, entrepreneurial firm
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire, and earn trust from others; deliver success, growth, and difficult change when necessary
- Entrepreneurial spirit exhibited through hustle, grit & resilience: flexibility to do whatever it takes, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we’re never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
- Has relationships with some leading junior professionals with whom the company would want to work and have as associates
- Extremely deft communicator: listening, empathizing and communicating well with a range of audience types, especially customers and partners and navigating difficult, sometimes acrimonious situations to reach win-win solutions and deep, long-term business relationships
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Commitment to enhance awareness about our values by example and motivate those around you to “up their game”
While likely working remotely for some time, this position will eventually be based in our San Francisco, CA office.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Distributed Energy Storage, Electric Cars, Farm Irrigation Efficiency, Micro Wind Turbines, Offshore Wind Turbines, Public Transit, Waste-to-Energy