We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Product Design team at Cruise is a passionate multidisciplinary group of designers, researchers, and 3D artists driving the future of autonomous urban mobility. Their unique challenge is to introduce emerging AV technology to people’s daily lives with the promise of saving lives, money, and time. With the support of General Motors, the team creates a holistic end-to-end experience of our autonomous ride-sharing platform—from the tools that train the AVs to the vehicle interiors of tomorrow. They seek to continue building a team of individuals as inclusive as the future we're creating, thoughtfully crafting everything from hardware and software to 3D and sound.
The Research & Insights team focuses on experiences that serve Cruise’s target customer as well as internal teams at Cruise. We work closely with designers and other cross-functional teams to provide insights that will lay the foundation for an AV ride-sharing experience. As a part of this team, you will have a critical role in shaping the Cruise experience and the impact it will have on the transportation and automotive industries that have shaped our way of living.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work mostly on Cruise’s hardware to design, execute, and report on usability (human factors) research at various stages of product development, from early prototypes to validation testing
- Collaborate closely with other researchers, designers, product managers, and engineers to identify and prioritize opportunities where research can help improve a product decision or customer experience
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of strengths and weaknesses of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase
- Lead all aspects of a research project including: Meet with stakeholders, scope projects, choose methodologies, create generative and evaluative research plans, write discussion guides/surveys, lead interview sessions, analyze research insights/data, and write actionable and impactful reports
- Communicate research findings to drive human interface design and inform engineering designs of hardware to account for human interface, usability, and ergonomics
- Mentor other researchers, and maintain our team's high standard of work
What you must have:
- Bachelors in Human Factors or similar field
- 3+ years of industry experience in human factors research or engineering testing hardware and HMI prototypes
- Experience combining qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Experience balancing multiple varied projects at once while prioritizing work and performing at a high level
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and take initiative to solve problems
- A strong grasp on how to clearly, concisely, and persuasively communicate research findings
- Skill collaborating with others to determine feasible solutions to meet performance, cost, and safety needs
- Experience leading research projects that have had lasting impact on product and design decisions.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical skills and problem resolution skills
- Team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- M.A./M.S. or PhD in Human Factors, HCI, Industrial Engineering, Ergonomics or other related field r
- Portfolio/website/presentation displaying previous work
- Experience introducing new products to market
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.