At Volta we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
The challenge to efficiently plan a network of EV charging stations in a city or across the country is one that needs to take into account many different factors and dimensions such as shifting cost, utilization and market growth metrics even before taking into consideration Volta’s differentiating and industry-disrupting business model.
As the Director of Network Financial Optimization you will continually assess the risk and opportunity of Volta’s EV charging network growth across a range of market scenarios, and turn those assessments into actionable recommendations for the Site Development team. You will be responsible for day-to-day recommendations and policies to maximize the charging portfolio’s value that is a complex network of sites and partnerships, while balancing the risks of programs and initiatives that support the company strategy and growth goals. You will partner closely with the Sales and Account Management teams, as well as various members of the Product and Engineering teams who are responsible for meeting long term cost management targets.
This position will be based in San Francisco
and will report to SVP, Network Planning.
- Establish and execute a methodology, policies and processes for evaluating new and recurring relationship opportunities, delivering recommendations for partner relationship strategies/negotiations
- Ensure the broader portfolio of stations is on track to achieve and exceed financial goals across media markets and industry verticals and adjusting targets as the EV market progresses
- Optimize the investment allocation and value of an EV charging network, creating analytics solutions that meet business objectives
- Partner closely with other members of the Network Planning team responsible for complementary streams of analytics and cost management efforts to ensure that the overall team output is driving results aligned with company strategic goals
- Conduct in-depth analyses to address complex and/or strategic questions such as defining market opportunities and market ceilings; use knowledge of business and all available data to anticipate problems or opportunities
- Recruit, train and lead a highly analytical team, establishing performance metrics, evaluating their work, and leading all initiatives across this team
- Present analysis to C-level leadership and all other parts of the organization, driving more strategic and effective decision-making with actionable recommendations supported by data and numbers
- Have a bias for action, identifying and responding to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively; you are decisive and have impeccable judgment when managing tradeoff
- 8+ years of professional experience in strategy, analytics, management consulting, portfolio management, financial analysis or similar fields
- 1-2 years experience managing high-performing and analytically driven teams
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Engineering, or similar required; Advanced degree strongly preferred
- The ability to own and drive programs that are a part of the larger strategic vision for Volta
- The ability to influence without authority; you drive effective teamwork, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
- You have an executive presence with the ability to succinctly, confidently and articulately defend and challenge positions in both verbal and written communications
- Fluent with data and can draw insights and actions from them, unlocking both incremental and large opportunities
- Strong analytical and financial skills to work on complex business scenario planning; SQL, Excel and/or similar data analysis experience
- A strong focus on execution and can drive concrete programs from early strategy to maturity
- The ability to excel in a dynamic work environment as an early leader of a growing team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; you can synthesize data into recommendations for business strategy & tactics to a range of audiences including executive leadership
- Strong judgement and can assess costs, benefits, and risks to programs; you can identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects and tasks
- High emotional intelligence and humility; you are confident, yet humble and enjoy hearing diverse perspectives on a problem; you bring groups together to agree on the best possible solution
- Experience working closely with sales teams