Spin is a fast-growing micromobility company committed to a world with clean air, liveable cities, safe streets, and widespread access to convenient, affordable transportation. If you’re searching for a top-tier career where you can make a difference and dynamically collaborate within a creative, lively environment—Spin welcomes you!
We’re passionate about transportation and technology. The work we accomplish fulfills a sense of meaning and purpose, which goes beyond the traditional dimensions of a workplace. Our products and initiatives directly influence people’s lives, which is proven by our customers' feedback.
Founded in 2017, and now a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, we have worked together with cities, campuses, community groups, and businesses to expand internationally. Even as we expand, we maintain the close feeling of a small business, with “fireside chats” chats led by our company’s founders, weekly OKR pop-up videos, music-infused presentations at our All Hands meetings, and more. During this time of working remotely, our creativity and shared goals have kept us united and bonded within our virtual community.
We are a diverse team of artists, engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, marketers, and operators. We believe in inclusivity and build powerful alliances to fulfill our goals and move our mission forward. Above all, we at Spin are connected by our values and #BeOrange spirit, which represents unity, purpose, passion, and creativity.
About the Role
We are looking for a Hardware R&D Director to help us make the best possible micro mobility vehicles. You will drive researching new technologies that will be beneficial to our future platforms. Come up with ideas for making the vehicles better and then make them a reality!
- Leads development and research projects, implement standard methodologies in innovation and maintain the department R&D budget
- Responsible for developing and supervising research and development plans for the R&D group, ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget, in accordance with the strategic plans and roadmap
- Promote a productive R&D culture that is motivated and accountable having a customer focus on innovation, quality, and improving the user experience
- Explore new scientific technologies and approaches, and determine their applicability, while staying ahead of competitive products and technology advances
- Represent R&D in the product development process - aiding to set project goals and achievements and responsible for R&D prioritization
- Works closely with cross functional teams to ensure alignment and prioritization around roadmap, product development, and budgets. Explore gaps within organization and technologies and prepare plans to address gaps
- Supervise R&D managers, making sure reviews are completed and objectives are set. Assist in the development of talent within the organization, and assist in their career development.
- Support Product Management, Manufacturing and Marketing groups to ensure high product quality and customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate internally with hardware teams, product management and BD to ensure joint research programs are progressing
- Represent the company at conferences and customer visits, and collaborate externally with academic and industrial partners based on our roadmap
- Represent the department around intellectual property discussions and IP lifecycle management with the legal department
- Promote the corporate vision and ensure alignment within the team
- Bachelors degree in engineering or equivalent plus at least 15 years of relevant work experience, or Masters degree plus at least 12 years of related experience, or Ph. D. in engineering plus at least 10 years of work experience
- Proven experience of at least 8 years as a manager
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Consistent track record of direct and indirect management of resources and teams
- Understanding of best practices in innovation, portfolio management, and customer centric approach to product development
- Creative thinking and ability to drive performance and user experience requirements
- Demonstrated research record and experience in developing new technologies
- Understanding of material manufacturing processes
- Passion for personal and team development
- Ability to work across a large organization
- Experience maintaining metrics and budgets
- Must be well organized and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Some travel may be required
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law. Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.