Spin is a fast-growing micromobility company committed to a world with clean air, liveable cities, safe streets, and widespread access to convenient, affordable transportation. If you’re searching for a top-tier career where you can make a difference and dynamically collaborate within a creative, lively environment—Spin welcomes you!
We’re passionate about transportation and technology. The work we accomplish fulfills a sense of meaning and purpose, which goes beyond the traditional dimensions of a workplace. Our products and initiatives directly influence people’s lives, which is proven by our customers' feedback.
Founded in 2017, and now a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, we have worked together with cities, campuses, community groups, and businesses to expand internationally. Even as we expand, we maintain the close feeling of a small business, with “fireside chats” chats led by our company’s founders, weekly OKR pop-up videos, music-infused presentations at our All Hands meetings, and more. During this time of working remotely, our creativity and shared goals have kept us united and bonded within our virtual community.
We are a diverse team of artists, engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, marketers, and operators. We believe in inclusivity and build powerful alliances to fulfill our goals and move our mission forward. Above all, we at Spin are connected by our values and #BeOrange spirit, which represents unity, purpose, passion, and creativity.
About the Role
We are looking for a field service/failure analysis engineer to help us deliver the best possible scooters. You will be responsible for troubleshooting and resolving issues with our scooters in the markets we serve. You will work on every aspect of the scooter hardware as well as firmware; from the brakes, to the scooter structure, to the power train, and to the IoT functionalities. Our scooters get very well used, and you will need to figure out how and why they break, then work with engineering to make them bulletproof. Come up with ideas for making the scooters better and then make them a reality!
Our engineering team consists of engineers that are passionate about creating finely polished and intuitive experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems. We promote being a more well rounded engineer by working on different parts of the engineering stack. We also work in very small groups to keep processes and overhead low, so we have a lot of trust and accountability to perform the work required to build the best product.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, test and repair light electric vehicles in support of the Spin market
- Interface with customers as well as other service technicians to identify, investigate and resolve vehicle issues
- Escalate and communicate at a technical level with light electric vehicle suppliers to help debug and come up with corrective actions to frequent vehicle breakdown incidents or repair challenges
- Help sustaining engineering and customer support engineering prioritize problem resolution to resolve critical issues and maximize efficiency
- Provide feedback to engineering team for continuous improvement of quality, serviceability and customer experience
- Provide troubleshooting guidance, maintenance and repair training to field service technicians, regional technicians, and mechanics
- Lead investigations on safety-related incidents both in the field and internal operations
- Work with sustaining engineering team to create and maintain service technician training and certification processes
- 3+ years of experience plus a Bachelor's degree in electrical, mechanical or computer science engineering or equivalent practical experience, and minimum 5 years of relevant experience in an electro-mechanical (preferably light electric vehicle) service or support environment with demonstrated success in resolving challenging issues
- Ability to travel (20%)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, bend, walk, and stand for extended periods
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as collaborate in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a technical/failure analysis environment
- Extensive personal enthusiasm with light electric vehicles highly desirable
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law. Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.