Spin is a fast-growing micromobility company committed to a world with clean air, liveable cities, safe streets, and widespread access to convenient, affordable transportation. If you’re searching for a top-tier career where you can make a difference and dynamically collaborate within a creative, lively environment—Spin welcomes you!
We’re passionate about transportation and technology. The work we accomplish fulfills a sense of meaning and purpose, which goes beyond the traditional dimensions of a workplace. Our products and initiatives directly influence people’s lives, which is proven by our customers' feedback.
Founded in 2017, and now a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company, we have worked together with cities, campuses, community groups, and businesses to expand internationally. Even as we expand, we maintain the close feeling of a small business, with “fireside chats” chats led by our company’s founders, weekly OKR pop-up videos, music-infused presentations at our All Hands meetings, and more. During this time of working remotely, our creativity and shared goals have kept us united and bonded within our virtual community.
We are a diverse team of artists, engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, marketers, and operators. We believe in inclusivity and build powerful alliances to fulfill our goals and move our mission forward. Above all, we at Spin are connected by our values and #BeOrange spirit, which represents unity, purpose, passion, and creativity.
About the Role
The Embedded Engineering Manager is responsible for the embedded systems development effort for all custom vehicles developed at Spin. It is an engineering leadership role that requires working closely with the embedded electrical and firmware engineers and providing mentorship for all module development. In this role you will provide vision and leadership for the next generation of modules used in our vehicles. This candidate should stay abreast with advances in hardware and system technologies and work closely with our Hardware Operations team to get the products to mass production. You will also align with Product Management, Product Design, and Program Management to help define features, product definition and program goals. The Engineering manager will also handle external consultants, supply chain vendors, and contract manufacturing partners.
- Provide technical and strategic leadership that quickly transitions innovative concepts and ideas towards commercial realization
- Drive the development of Spin' embedded code engineering activities for custom modules built for micromobility platforms
- Lead the design and implementation of control algorithms for motors, power management, IoT implementation and the control of a variety of hardware components
- Implement processes that improve early vetting of concepts -- building towards increasing the predictability of the product development pipeline
- Responsible for defining and verifying end-to-end system requirements and developing hardware modules for micromobility vehicles
- Work and supervise closely consultants, vendors and contract manufacturers for timely delivery
- Build and foster domain expertise within the organization in key areas of motor control, advanced sensors and IoT connectivity technologies
- Develop and supervise detailed specifications, project plans, resource assignments & schedules in conjunction with Engineering, Product Management, and Executive staff
- Participate in technical reviews for design of hardware and firmware for deployment and support processes
- 8+ years of related management experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 6+ years of management with a Master's degree
- Proven experience managing a team of embedded engineers (hardware and firmware engineers) that has shipped a mass production product
- Specialist in developing high-level software architectures
- Experience with Batteries and BMS, electrified components including Motors and Motor Controllers
- Software Processes and Quality Assurance
- Software Requirements Management and Design and Automation
- Onboard and manufacturing Diagnostics / Prognostics
- Experience with communications protocols like CAN, USB, ethernet, TCP/IP
- Understanding of networking and networked-computing concepts is required
- Experienced with Atlassian products including Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket
- Experienced with the agile development process
- Ability to work well in a high-paced environment, set and meet appropriate schedule requirements
- Strong follow-through and self-starting nature
- Position will involve travel visiting engineering vendors and hardware suppliers
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
- Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law. Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.