Who we are
Creating a planet fueled by reliable, clean energy isn’t what keeps us up at night; it’s what gets us out of bed. At Opus One Solutions, our software platform GridOS® helps us pursue solutions that will change how countries access, optimize and distribute electrical energy. From microgrids that keep things running in the event of an outage, to helping electric utilities optimize their operations and allowing homeowners to feed energy into a power grid, we're powering a more sustainable future.
As the shift to reliable, clean energy becomes an imperative, Opus One Solutions is at the forefront of this transition. Our software reduces the complexity of systems coordination and establishes the financial base for resource deployment, allowing countries to accelerate carbon reduction, and system operators to facilitate the distribution of carbon neutral energy.
The Opus One Solutions GridOS software platform brings intelligence to every level of the electrical grid, from smart meters that can minimize the impact of power outages to the most challenging electrical utility marketplaces that can coordinate market actors to enhance system operations. Our software enables optimization of energy systems from planning to operations, leveraging the data at not only the utility, but also the various entities connected to its infrastructure.
We have assembled a diverse group of power systems experts and distributed software system professionals who are working to tackle these challenges together and are looking to expand the team to accelerate our shared journey to a more sustainable future.
You will be working as part of the Opus One Solutions data science team focusing primarily on building and deploying high velocity machine learning models targeted at electrical distribution utility customers.
- Our end users require the integration of highly accurate energy demand and generation forecasts combined with production level outcomes delivered into operational systems resulting in a need for a balanced approach of model development and deployment.
- Energy demand and generation both depend on climate, weather, seasonality, and long-term trends. The data sources may be clear and well understood or sparse and require investigation by the data science team. You will be an integral part of this process.
- You will work with the data science team to ensure the outcomes are repeatable, scalable, traceable, and defensible
What you will work on?
- Design, build and maintain the data processing pipelines required for the Opus One Solutions machine learning based time series forecasting models and production deployments.
- Create the ETL/ELT workflows to ingest measurement data timeseries forecasting engine
- Support the integration with third-party data sources including Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), electrical grid distribution and feeder models, meteorological services, solar and generation forecast data along (short term forecasts) with additional socio-economic information as required (long-term forecasts).
- Analyze foundational data tables and metrics supporting the power flow optimization and data science teams with clear definitions, data lineage, loading patterns, test coverage and transformations to ensure that data is reliable, intelligible, and maintainable
- Build and extend time series forecasting engine APIs for product and project services.
- Implement systems to track data quality and consistency explaining issues/problems with data.
- Communicate high-quality software engineering practices for building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale including the documentation of ETL/ELT flows and systems architecture.
- Support testing processes, troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Work in an Agile/SCRUM team setting including cross-functional structures and varying levels of management.
Who are you?
We're looking for a data engineer to help us accelerate the adoption of distributed energy resources such as wind and solar into the day-to-day operations of the electrical utilities. You will have a proven track record of shipping performant data processing systems in production environments and are comfortable developing and automating complex pipelines and workflows that underpin AI/ML powered products.
- You are a data engineer with experience working in a machine learning or big data production environment.
- Experience in the application of best practices for software engineering in the AI/ML and data spaces, with an emphasis on time-series data
- Experience standing up services and building scalable production data workflows.
- You may also have experience working within the electrical utility marketplace or an adjacent industry where experience in forecasting can be used.
Here’s what you bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, or a related quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in software engineering or data engineering
- Proficiency working with structured and unstructured data including experience with relational data stores such PostgreSQL, SQL, and ETL/ELT frameworks
- Experience with implementing chronological, time series processes
- Experience with Service-Oriented Architecture including designing and developing RESTful APIs
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain ETL/ELT processes including staging, cleansing, mapping, and loading
- Work experience developing in Python, Java, or other programming languages
- Experience building high-quality end-to-end data solutions in an agile environment from requirements to production.
- Some exposure to the workflow management engines (Airflow) along with Hadoop or similar ecosystems including Hive, Spark, Pig, or others is desired.
- Solve problems in robust and creative ways demonstrating solid verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Effective in working across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams
- Collaborate across multiple development, project delivery teams along with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Why join Opus One Solutions?
Opus One is growing! After spending first four years under the radar focused on research and pilot projects we’re ready to shine as one of Canada’s top 10 game-changers named by CIX Cleantech, Fast Company’s 2017 World Changing Idea in Energy and one of top 100 Global Cleantech companies! We are deploying exciting microgrid projects in North America and have partnerships with leading energy players such as National Grid.
Our leadership has assembled carefully selected teams with some of the best strategic visionaries - and executors - in technology and the clean energy space. We are all driven by one common goal: to accelerate the integration of clean and sustainable energy in North America and the world.
At Opus One Solutions we understand that not everyone develops their talent and hones their skills in a traditional way. Different paths and experiences are part of the diversity we know we need to succeed. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking, take a chance and express your interest here.
Opus One Solutions welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.