Counsel / Senior Counsel, Capital Markets
Reporting to: Head of Legal
Location: San Francisco Bay Area preferred with the option to be located remotely
Position Mission: Generate Capital is hiring a Counsel/Senior Counsel reporting to the Head of Legal with the mission to provide legal advice in the leverage of revenue-generating sustainable assets.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for someone process- and results-oriented, passionate about the type of work Generate is doing, looking to apply your experience as a transactional and secured lending lawyer to help scale a young business and drive critical internal process efficiencies.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Counsel / Senior Counsel, Capital Markets:
- Provide legal and transactional support to an experienced and innovative capital markets team for leveraging infrastructure projects and other debt-related corporate activities.
- Apply your secured lending and acquisition financing experience acumen to structure, negotiate and draft finance and security documents and to oversee creating scale and broader adoption of new sustainable technologies
- Act as borrower’s counsel representing Generate to multinational banks, institutional investors, and other financing sources to fuel the growth of sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Drive the standardization of transaction structures, processes and documentation across our investment portfolio.
- Advise investment team and capital markets team on trade-offs across different types, terms and tenor of debt-raising activities.
- Provide general advice and contract negotiation support to the Company.
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- A demonstrated passion for, or commitment to, our mission
- 6+ years at a leading law firm experience representing borrowers and lenders in financing transactions, preferably secured lending, asset acquisition, project financing of energy or infrastructure assets and corporate finance.
- Solid experience negotiating and drafting term sheets, credit facilities, security arrangements, intercreditor and subordination agreements. Ability to prepare all the closing documentations and carry a transaction to a swift and complete closing as a principal negotiator and with outside counsel support.
- Helpful additional experience includes corporate finance, private placements, multinational work, working in-house at a bank or borrower, hedge arrangements.
- Expert at applying knowledge in one industry/sector into new areas of investment. Ability to condense multi-faceted technology-focused projects for lenders and other capital providers and their counsel.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple ongoing projects.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws