With electric vehicles (EVs) expected to be nearly 30% of new vehicle sales by 2025 and more than 50% by 2040, electric mobility is becoming a reality. ChargePoint is at the center of this revolution, powering one of the world’s leading EV charging networks and a comprehensive set of hardware, software and mobile solutions for every charging need. We bring together drivers, businesses, automakers, policymakers, utilities and other stakeholders to make e-mobility a global reality.
Since our founding in 2007, ChargePoint has focused solely on EV charging and established a business model that's been validated by more than a decade in business and thousands of customers. As now a public company, we remain focused on broadening our market leadership and building on years of innovation. ChargePoint offers a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build our all-electric future and dominate a trillion-dollar market.
Join the team that is building the EV charging industry and make your mark on how people and goods will get everywhere they need to go, in any context, for generations to come.
Discover what it’s like to help build the fueling network of the future - check out our Engineering Blog.
Manager, Reliability and Validation Engineering
ChargePoint is looking for a creative and versatile hardware Reliability and Validation Engineering Intern to help ensure that our EV Charging stations meet all internal and external performance and reliability requirements. This engineering intern will participate in discussing ChargePoint’s reliability and design validation requirements, execute all applicable standard testing, support implementation of new test methods and setups, and perform preliminary failure analysis. To succeed, this engineering intern must have both strong technical and hands-on skills with an ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving company and marketplace.
- Track and execute NPI reliability and validation test plans for all aspects (Mechanical, Electrical and cosmetic) of our EV chargers and subsystems: functional, life cycle, thermal, environmental, mechanical, and packaging.
- Support test development to reproduce field failures and reliability growth.
- Build simple to moderately complex test fixtures as needed.
- Collaborate with test technicians and reliability engineers to deliver test results.
- Perform preliminary root cause analysis on reliability and validation test failures.
- Analyze results needed for system reliability risk assessment.
- Support design of internal test standards and methods for all aspects of EV chargers: cables, enclosures, labels and finishes, PCBAs, etc.
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- B.S. in Engineering (mechanical, electrical, materials, industrial) or Science (physics, chemistry, materials) acquired or in progress.
- 0-3 years of experience in mechanical and electronic system reliability and/or design validation testing.
- Availability for 3-6 month internship term (consideration for full-time role at internship completion for strong performers).
- Intuition for designing mechanical, operational, and environmental stress tests.
- Ability to independently execute efficiently and safely on multiple test plans and test setups simultaneously, prioritizing workload as needed.
- Ability to understand accelerated test method basics and physics of failure.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment as needed to report results and/or troubleshoot failures.
- Basic knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint (or Keynote) and data analysis tools (Excel or other).
- Capable of clear and detailed written / verbal communication.
- Familiarity with reading / modifying code in Python, TeraTerm and/or C++ a plus.
- Experience applying DOE and FMEA to drive test planning a plus.
- Hands-on experience building and/or troubleshooting test fixtures / setups for mechanical and electronic products.
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques (optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDX, FTIR, etc.) a plus.
- Basic knowledge for troubleshooting loss of electrical continuity on electrical systems preferred.
- Experience testing 240-480VAC and 500-1000VDC products preferred.
- Knowledge of industry standards for consumer, industrial products and/or EV charging a plus.
- Awareness of safety risks when handling live high voltage / high current systems a plus.
- Ability to stand for extended periods and perform repetitive mechanical movements for test execution.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
San Jose, CA