What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo’s Bioprocessing Group is seeking a Laboratory Technician to join our team and assist in the development of microbial based agricultural products that increase crop yield and improve stress tolerance using organisms isolated from the plant microbiome. The Laboratory Technician will be a part of the development of stable and robust seed treatment products by assisting in the fermentation, downstream processing, and production of microbial products.
The candidate should possess a general understanding of microbiology and chemistry and be able to utilize their knowledge for practical, laboratory tasks. This is a hands-on, laboratory-based position and the candidate will work in collaboration with other scientists and engineers to carry out their work. The candidate will be a part of the Bioprocessing Development team.
- Track viability and stability of dried microbial products via spread plating and flow cytometry
- Maintain and organize a large library of stabilized products (physically and electronically)
- Characterize powder properties such as moisture content, water activity, density, and particle size distribution
- Assist senior team members in executing bench-scale process development experiments for stabilization of microbial cultures, including (but not limited to) spray drying and lyophilization (experience in these techniques is an asset, but willingness to learn these techniques is sufficient for the right candidate)
- Assist in developing reliable quantitative assays related to microbial growth and downstream processes
- Document experimental protocols with detail and clarity
- Support production of microorganisms for deployment into validation trials (e.g. greenhouse, field trials)
- Support scaling of laboratory methods for production of commercial products
- Strong microbiology skills and experience enumerating bacterial and/or fungal samples using CFU plating.
- Ability to execute routine tasks reliably and efficiently.
- Comfortable learning diverse new skills and being able to execute lab protocols confidently.
- Strong organization skills and a commitment to documentation and record keeping.
- Strong willingness to work hard to get the job done. Has a track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability: copes effectively with change and is comfortable with ambiguity.
- Proactive: acts without being told what to do and brings new ideas to the company.
- Appropriate balance of confidence and humility. Ability to accept constructive feedback and possesses a desire to continuously improve.
- Associate’s degree in microbiology, biotechnology, biochemistry, or a related field, with at least 1 year of laboratory experience required. Bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields is an asset. Industry experience with microbiology, cell culture, or bioprocess engineering is an asset.
- Experience in data analysis and presentation of key findings
- Proficiency performing aseptic techniques, microbial cultivation, and microscopy required.
- Experience with technologies for microbial preservation (e.g. lyophilization, spray drying) is an asset.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.