Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting tens of thousands of growers across millions of acres. Indigo is also the company behind Indigo Carbon, - a program that pays growers to reduce on-farm emissions, remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and improve soil health. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list, placing again among the top three in 2020. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
- Production of microorganisms for deployment into validation trials (small and large replicated plot trials), as well as safety studies. Ideal candidate will be fluent in bioreactor operations. Solid state fermentation experience is an asset, however the willingness to learn these techniques is sufficient.
- Stabilization of microbial cultures including (but not limited to) spray drying and lyophilization
- Track viability and stability of liquid or dried microbial products by spread plating and flow cytometry
- Maintain and organize a large inventory of stabilized products (physically and electronically)
- Characterize powder properties such as moisture content, hygroscopicity, bulk tap density, and particle size distribution
- Document experimental protocols with high level of detail and clarity
- Assist in developing reliable quantitative assays related to microbial growth and downstream processes
- Support scaling of laboratory methods for production of commercial products
- Strong microbiology skills and experience enumerating bacterial and/or fungal samples using CFU plating
- Comfortable learning diverse new skills and being able to execute lab protocols confidently with minimal oversight
- Strong organization skills and a commitment to documentation and record keeping
- Possesses a strong willingness to work hard to get the job done. Has a track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability: copes effectively with change and is comfortable with ambiguity
- Proactive: acts without being told what to do and brings new ideas to the company.
- Appropriate balance of confidence and humility. Ability to accept constructive feedback and possesses a desire to continuously improve.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, biochemical engineering, or a related field, with at least 2 years of laboratory experience required. Industry experience with microbiology, cell culture, or bioprocess engineering is an asset.
- Experience in data analysis and presentation of key findings.
- Proficiency performing aseptic techniques, microbial cultivation, microscopy, and viability assays.
- Experience with technologies for microbial preservation (e.g. lyophilization, spray drying) is an asset
- Experience with downstream processing techniques (e.g. milling, TFF, centrifugation) is an asset
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding