We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Cruise is looking for a knowledgeable advocate and strong communicator familiar with the transportation and innovation regulatory landscape to effectively represent the company before key federal agencies. This position is ideal for someone with relevant Administration, Agency, Capitol Hill, or issue advocacy experience. The ideal candidate will possess a proven track record building trusted relationships and successfully navigating complex regulatory processes at federal agencies. Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and attention to detail are vital.
The Head of Federal Regulatory Engagement will:
- Remain in close coordination with the Director of Federal Affairs and other members of Cruise’s leadership team, develop and implement Cruise’s federal transportation and innovation regulatory strategy.
- Gain regulatory approval for Cruise’s operations working closely with business, operations, and engineering teams to understand their objectives and advocate for outcomes that will enable Cruise’s success.
- Represent the company to key federal agencies, with a focus on the U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA), building trusted relationships with political and professional staff.
- Closely monitor the federal regulatory landscape for engagement opportunities, including but not limited to rulemakings and public comments, policy guidance, standards development, and other such activities.
- Advise internal teams on federal regulatory proposals and the implications it has on their work.
- Provide input and strategic guidance related to public filings and the pursuit of other corporate priorities.
- Issue spot. Proactively identify, assess and mitigate potential issues that could impact the company’s reputation or objectives.
- Represent Cruise before industry setting bodies, technical forums, and at conferences, on expert panels, and in other forums, as appropriate.
- Draft materials such as talking points, leave behinds, and presentations.
- Develop and maintain expertise in relevant external trends at the federal level impacting the business and its peers.
Experience and Qualifications
- 8+ years experience working at or with federal agencies, on Capitol Hill, or in advocacy organizations. Familiarity with issues surrounding innovative industries and/or new technologies preferred.
- Political acumen and the ability to build trusted relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to convey complex topics succinctly and persuasively.
- The ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- A creative mind and goal-oriented mindset!
- Ability to thrive in an environment where structure and flexibility combine to meet Cruise’s needs.
- A team player and cross-functional collaborator with an ability to get things done and carry projects forward.
- A voracious appetite for news and being a part of an innovative company!
This position reports to the Director of Federal Affairs and is based in Washington D.C.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.