The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together - not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are phenomenal tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel passionate about our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Reporting to Dave Allison as Retail Technology Director - you will be providing Technology leadership for our colleague technology teams. These technology teams provide the technology capabilities used by colleagues across the OVO Group enabling them to do amazing things for each other and OVO customers.
- Tech infrastructure (networks, servers
- , databases) for offices and systems
- Equipment and productivity tools used by colleagues
- Solutions that help us support our finances and our people
What will I be doing?
- Providing leadership for the OVO colleagues technology teams supporting all colleagues across the OVO Group. Responsible for technical decision making, organisation, delivery and budget.
- Working with stakeholders and internal/external partners to ensure we use technology to delight our colleagues and enable them to deliver our plan zero aims.
- Leading colleague technology teams in building out colleague technology capabilities that serve OVO group at scale.
- Managing and developing Heads of and Technology Leads along with a number of independent contributors.
- Setting strategy and vision for a team of c. 50 technology specialists
- Building high performing teams and developing the next generation of thought leaders.
- Building a technology culture of highly autonomous, intrinsically motivated, well-aligned teams.
- Continually working towards technical excellence and industry best practices.
- Helping to define the technology strategy to position OVO as a forward-thinking technology organisation.
- Building and promoting our technology brand, including overseeing how we bring new talent to your technology teams.
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have:
- A strong technology background including technology infrastructure (networks, servers, databases), corporate IT (employee equipment and productivity tools) and finance/people planning solutions.
- Experience building, running and leading high performing, autonomous engineering teams (ideally at least 30 people).
- A clear understanding of how technologies can be used to provide amazing and effective experiences that enable our colleagues.
- An appreciation for agile and lean development.
- A progressive and people-first management style, with a strong change management skill-set.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with senior leaders across the business.
- Experience integrating technology into the wider business strategy.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high growth, technology focussed organisation.
- Proven experience of creating a forward-thinking technology culture.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies on our careers page and Glassdoor. We’re also delighted to have received a Top Employers certificate in 2018, 2019 and 2020!