At Upshift, we are making cities better and driving positive change in the world by reinventing car ownership. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
As our operations manager, you will ensure the "cars run on time" to eliminate all the friction of car ownership across all touchpoints. Each new member who has a great experience with Upshift will tell their friends about it. This will help us to grow our impact by reducing the number of cars on our city streets, reduce our carbon footprint, and tread just a bit lighter on this planet. You are excited to build this service because you personally know the pain of owning a car in the city and you are excited about helping alleviate it. You are passionate about using your skills to have an impact on addressing climate change and making our cities less car dependent.
Impact driven entrepreneur who is an execution oriented, intelligent decision maker. A "ready, fire, aim" doer. You usually don't read the instructions and are always trying to find a way to improve processes. You have experience building a company from the ground up - or are hungry to do so. You problem solve quickly and collaboratively. You have a passion for the importance and urgency of changing the transportation landscape at scale to make people’s lives easier, combat climate change and improve our cities. You believe in the power of leveraging business drivers to develop a disruptive new flexible, convenient and affordable transportation service.
A humble, level-headed leader who connects with others through open communication and good listening skills. Absolute unquestionable integrity, hard working, organized with attention to detail, and process oriented. You don’t need to take all the credit but set up the team for success. You assume trust in people first and have the ability to make decisions based on market feedback. People love working with you and you attract top caliber talent like a magnet.
Known for decisiveness and ability to make the right calls and execute consistently under extremely limited time constraints. An ability to think through company-wide strategic issues and interface across silos. You will be responsible for making sure the “cars run on time” and get delivered efficiently and seamlessly. You may deal with a member one moment, an insurance claim the next, and maybe even deliver a car yourself minutes later. An ability to work in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial high-growth environment where priorities change quickly. You know how to build something from nothing, build scalable systems, grow revenues, and reduce costs. Previous experience in same day or real time delivery service a plus. Fleet management experience (carshare, bikeshare, scootershare, rental car, etc.) also a plus. Previous startup experience and solid credentials a plus. We are also open to scrappy, young, entrepreneurial and mission aligned folks hungry to prove themselves and make a difference in the world.
Build and manage scalable delivery logistics system
- recruit, train and hire delivery concierge teammates (W2 employees who are core team, not disposable gig workers). help make our systems into a more scalable, replicable process
- run dispatch: manage concierges while they are on shift and ensure they are moving efficiently, update their schedule as needed, help them with member services issues, ensure cars are delivered in good shape and member experience is fantastic- all under sometimes tight time constraints
- build out scalable logistics system leveraging new telematics hardware and software to streamline our deliveries and pickups
Keep our cars running on time
- manage our fleet of hybrid RAV4 SUVs and Priuses: make sure they are routinely maintained, cleaned, and don't get parking tickets. Keep track of each car in a systematized way.
- work with our body shop to get repairs fixed quickly to minimize fleet downtime.
- handle any roadside issues (flat tire, dead battery, accidents/damages) to ensure member is back on the road quickly and has the best experience possible.
- work with our insurance broker and insurance carrier to process claims and ensure claims are paid out
- help us figure out how to electrify our fleet (find out where we can charge them and figure out the logistics for charging them, then help us to build a system to ensure they are always delivered charged)
- help us to build more scalable systems for all of this
Delight our members, every time
- member support: field member questions over email and SMS with a high level of empathy and strong service minded approach
- onboard new members: check for fraud, ensure they clear our driving record requirements, processing first payment
- help us to build scalable, replicable protocols to systematize these processes
Keep our office running smoothly
- processing booking requests in our admin panel and setting them up in our reservation system
- processing gas and toll charges and entering and updating trip data as needed in our accounting system
- process additional charges for member bookings and address issues with member accounts as needed
- monthly reporting for our insurance carrier
- financial reporting and tracking (eg, updating Quickbooks, and providing CPA, bookkeeper, legal, tax consultants, and/or vehicle loan providers as needed with up-to-date accounting of our books), automate as much as possible
- run payroll (Gusto)
- ensure all bills are paid on time
- take care of general office needs (mailing packages/letters, ordering supplies for cars and/or the office, scanning/laminating documents)
Help us to design and build technology to support our operations
- enter bugs and feature requests into Github for engineering
- work with engineering on developing our new fleet management software and automate current processes like dispatch, data entry, damage reporting, fleet tracking, & reservation management
- help us to make best use of all the mountains of data we are now getting off of our vehicle telematics while balancing member privacy concerns
You will go out in the field and learn the ins and outs of doing deliveries and pickups. You may also need to step in to do a car delivery or pickup periodically as needed if a concierge is not available.
Please include a short comment about WHY you will get up each day to build this service or you will not receive a response.