The Embedded Firmware Engineer will be responsible for delivering high quality embedded code and collaborating with electrical engineers to aid in the design of our system control boards which are at the heart of Dandelion’s next generation heat pumps. Ideally, this person has heat pump or refrigeration controls experience and can define controls logic.
He or she will have responsibilities spanning all aspects of the product design from working with the team to craft control board specifications and selecting the sensors embedded in the heat pump to writing the firmware to run on the board to managing device connectivity. The Embedded Firmware Engineer will be responsible for making changes and enhancements to the monitoring and controls on Dandelion’s heat pumps, and investigating and implementing new technologies for Dandelion’s next generation heat pump products.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 5+ years of experience in embedded development in at least one of the following: HVAC, refrigeration, industrial or residential electromechanical equipment, real-time controls, alarms, or system software.
- Experience with embedded systems bring up.
- Experience with over-the-air updates.
- Knowledge of debugging systems at assembly code level.
- Proficiency in C and C++.
- Fluent in software fundamentals including software design and maintainability.
- Experience with the embedded microprocessor tools.
- Controls software and algorithm development.
- Define the controls logic and alarms for Dandelion’s heat pump.
- Deliver high-quality C code in a real-time embedded environment.
- Specify, design, and implement functionality and behaviors of embedded sensors.
- Design the software architecture and firmware implementation on hardware through integration, test and manufacturing.
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging and code optimization.
- Make performance and optimization trade-offs to meet product requirements.
- Low-level software development experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of low-level firmware.
- Knowledge of operating systems concepts.
- Experience with digital hardware.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate complex technical concepts.
Dandelion Energy is an energy innovation company working to electrify home heating. We create and install geothermal heat pumps to replace fossil-fueled furnaces and boilers. Since spinning out of Google X in 2017, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees and have become the largest residential geothermal heat pump installation company in the US. Our carbon impact to date is the equivalent to taking over 25,000 cars off the road, and that impact is accelerating with our growth!
Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts in geothermal, drilling, heat pump and software engineering, HVAC installation, solar and solar financing, behavioral economics, and high-growth operations, among other backgrounds. With the potential to catalyze and scale a widespread transition to sustainable and affordable heating and cooling, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to create a wholesale shift in how people heat and cool their homes — join us!