Generate is hiring an Asset Manager to oversee several assets within its various asset classes, including: Solar, Storage, Microgrid, Fuel Cell, and HVAC. The mission of this role is to provide comprehensive commercial management for the assets within this portfolio, including contract management, compliance, commercial optimization, and cost controls. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a high level of intellectual curiosity and a desire to grow both their skillset and the value of their portfolios above and beyond near-term goals, always looking to be one step ahead of challenges.
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are an experienced energy asset manager with excellent operational knowledge in any combination of sustainable asset classes, , supplemented by a strong commercial skill set and a working knowledge of project finance and accounting concepts. You can drive cross-functional teams to successful outcomes with minimal oversight.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as an Asset Manager:
- Thoroughly understand the operations of each facility and identify opportunities for performance improvements, actively keeping abreast of current market trends, technological developments, and strategies employed by other owners to ensure that Generate Capital’s asset management is on the cutting edge
- Lead the identification and implementation of strategies for further optimization, both operational and commercial
- Manage short-term and long-term costs and produce highly accurate forecasting for asset P&Ls
- Workclosely with Accounting and FP&A to ensure the accuracy of asset financials, assist in responding to audit requests, and produce monthly variance analysis
- Assist with onboarding new assets to your portfolio, including tranching, documentation, and ensuring that other internal stakeholders receive necessary information and deliverables
- Identify and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and partners relevant to your portfolio, including but not limited to incentive program managers, customers, vendors, and financing counterparties, and manage disputes and other issues as needed
- Become a subject matter expert in all material contracts associated with your portfolio, utilizing and helping improve upon Generate Capital’s framework for contract compliance and risk management
- Track equipment and performance/availability warranties in a structured and scalable manner. As needed and in conjunction with O&M contractors, identify possible warranty claims, compile supporting documentation, and lead the claim process. Use findings of this process to champion continuous improvement in Generate Capital’s contracting and procurement practices
- As needed, create and run RFPs or otherwise source appropriate vendors to serve the portfolio’s requirements, focusing on building relationships with best in class providers and creating market-leading strategies and structures
- Assist in due diligence and formulation of operating assumptions for possible new additions to Generate Capital’s portfolio
- Develop and implement a long-term plan for maximizing the performance of your portfolio
- Work with the Information Technology team to develop data-driven tools for assessing the performance of your portfolio and monitor emerging risks and opportunities
- Drive organization and optimization of internal Generate processes to contribute to a best-in-class asset management program
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in a power generation operations and maintenance or asset management role, with at least two years of that experience focused on some combination of asset classes relevant to this position
- Demonstrable aptitude for managing asset-level budgets and a working knowledge of basic accounting and financial reporting terminology and concepts
- A four year degree, preferably in accounting, finance, or engineering
- Working knowledge of common revenue streams and incentive programs for renewable asset classes, such as SRECs, SGIP, various capacity market products, demand reduction. Some prior exposure to utility tariffs and merchant power markets required
- Prior experience in resolving commercial disputes
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening
- Excellent organizational and self-management capability
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross functional team
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we’re never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good” and drive to get the best possible outcome in an efficient timetable
- Knowledgeable and dependable presence with experience working with senior management and key stakeholders
- Experience in a growth company is preferable
Location and Travel Requirements
- Position will be based in San Francisco, CA but remote work arrangements will be considered
- Travel required 10% of the time comprising regular site visits to Generate owned facilities, due diligence of new opportunities, and if remote, travel to the San Francisco office (remote work arrangements may require additional travel)
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Distributed Energy Storage, Electric Cars, Farm Irrigation Efficiency, Micro Wind Turbines, Offshore Wind Turbines, Public Transit, Waste-to-Energy