Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Location: Remote situations accepted, with travel expected 25% of the time
Position Mission: Generate Capital is hiring an Environmental Health & Safety Manager to support the Asset Operations Team. Reporting to the Operations Manager. The mission of this position is to develop a best-in-class safety platform and culture permeating throughout all levels of the organization.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for someone organized and detail-oriented, who will provide leadership in the development of an enterprise health, safety and environmental strategy, performance and compliance platform. An EHS manager will be responsible for coordinating continuous improvements, and compliance efforts, driving risk reduction initiative, collaborating in the development and adherence of company and applicable general industry and construction standards and best practices. This person is passionate about the type of work Generate is doing and all aspects of industrial safety, looking to apply their experience to help scale a growing business and drive development of critical internal process and initiatives to expand and strengthen corporate safety culture.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Environmental Health and Safety Manager:
- Facility compliance assessments (general industry and construction applications)
- Post assessment summaries and corrective action plans
- Supervisor and employee training
- Continued education
- Consolidated PPE and safety equipment purchasing program.
- Equipment inspection, calibration, and replacement programs
- Process and policy review/development and enforcement.
- Coordination with project managers and field staff in develop and coordination of safety plans to support technical maintenance requirements.
- Participate in on-site training and reviews.
- Manage internal communication flow for safety issues, concern, near misses, lessons learned, incidents.
- Development of emergency response planning, training documents and procedures.
- Development and management of in internal safety committee with focus on a troubleshooting forum to discuss management/safety challenges, personnel assignments, facility acquisitions and transition plans providing a resource guide to face safety related challenges.
- Report to OSHA and other relevant organizations
- Keep abreast of industry and market trends and best practices.
- Manage Incident reporting and investigation processes.
- Develop standards and best practices for contractor prequalification.
- Review and opine on contractor safety prequalification submissions and/or contract language related to EH&S requirements processed or procedures.
- Always ensure the company is prepared to submit all the relevant health and safety documents
- Work with customers to provide safety and environmental compliance history for audit requests.
- Track number of incidents, training activities, etc.. and produce management reports.
- Develop and maintain hazardous material emergency response plans, and respond as appropriate to all biological, chemical, general and environmental safety emergencies.
- Create and manage safety curriculum and databases to ensure effective training; support and develop training and communications for faculty and staff.
- Serve as liaison with federal, state and local governmental units (CDC, NIH, USDA, OSHA, ATF, and DNR) and voluntary agencies including local emergency response personnel and other personnel on matters involving safety and environmental issues.
- Work closely with architects, consultants, engineers, and administrators in the design and construction of new or renovated facilities to ensure that all biological, chemical, general, and environmental safety issues are adequately addressed.
- Perform (or oversee) industrial hygiene monitoring activities.
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- Bachelors degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required; Masters degree desirable.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
- Hands on experience with performing audits and writing reports.
- Previous working experience in the safety industry with 10 years of experience 3-5 years in a management role.
- A team builder who is able to coach and mentor team members and work closely with employees on their continued development.
- Develops and maintains good relationships, gains the confidence of others and works effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment.
- Strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment.
- A demonstrated passion for, or commitment to, our mission
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, adobe acrobat, salesforce
- Prior experience with creating and documenting business processes
- Excellent organizational and self-management capability
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross functional team
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts with minimal formal instruction
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Experience in a growth company is preferable
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.