CarbonChain is growing and we are looking for talented people to help us grow to the next level.
We’re a team of highly regarded engineers, consultants and economists who are trusted leaders within our fields, from guiding the growth of multi-country supply chains for Amazon Europe to developing and delivering multiple and bespoke scalable enterprise software solutions across various sectors including Sports and Leisure (English Football Association), Banking and Finance (Western Union, UBS),and providing specialist Consulting services to Oil & Gas and mining enterprises for BCG and Rio Tinto.
CarbonChain are looking for a Head of Engineering to take the company to its next stage of growth.
Mission for the role
- Build the world's largest carbon emissions database. Imagine google, but for carbon
- Ship version 1 of the product that helps companies live track their carbon emissions around the world
- Hire an elite engineering team who are climate warriors at heart and want to solve climate change
Key results expected in the first 12 months
- Deliver a carbon emissions database that covers 70% of the world's annual carbon emissions down to asset and land-use level (i.e. circa 50 GT of CO2e globally emitted in 2020, therefore your target coverage is 35 GT)
- Hire 7 engineers who are each considered the top 10% of their field and can ship weekly features better than Amazon can ship packages. This team needs to inspire and attract the next generation of elite engineers, and have ability to draw talent from non-climate sectors
- Deliver a product that can produce thousands of end-to-end supply chain carbon emission reports at the press of a button for the world's most polluting supply chains (e.g. steel, aluminium, cement, fertilizer)
- Create banking grade secure APIs that can handle thousands of daily carbon tracking requests from the finance world so that our platform becomes the trusted engine of global green trade finance
To accomplish this, the ideal candidate will need to be strong in the related competencies
- Locate and establish data connections to many vast and different databases in order to collect global carbon intensity information such as fuel and electricity
- Retrieve unstructured data from multiple sources and derive structured datasets that can produce consistent metrics used for comparing against benchmarks and other scoring criteria
- Experience shipping a version 1 product
- Building a team: Finding talent. Vetting talent. Integrating them to the rest of the team
- Delivering to banking industry requirements in ambitious time frames: rapidly achieving security and compliance clearance for code and APIs
CarbonChain was born in 2019 with a mission to make supply chains green again. Our products offer quantitative and actionable solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the supply chains of the world’s most polluting industries — oil & gas, mining, metals, minerals and agriculture which is responsible for 50% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
CarbonChain was part of the Y Combinator Summer 2020 batch and has secured backing from the UK government’s innovation arm, InnovateUK, the NatWest accelerator and the London Business School Incubator.