Reporting to the Director of Field Technology & Operations, the Senior Field Technology Specialist serves as Hatch Data’s resident subject matter expert on all things Building Automation (BAS/BMS/IoT). Hatch Data’s software platform is relied on by building operations teams to monitor, analyze, and optimize performance of the built environment. The Senior Field Technology Specialist will be the “go-to” hardware and configuration expert whose work reduces the time, expense, and complexity of integration activities by identifying, vetting, sourcing, and deploying novel hardware and software solutions to meet ever-evolving product requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide subject matter expertise to inform product requirements, technology selection, and operational decisions related to sourcing building equipment and sensor data from buildings.
- Interface directly with 3rd party controls providers to facilitate successful integrations and subsequent maintenance and reliability of those integrations and connections.
- Monitor quality requirements of BAS/BMS/IoT related services with suppliers, vendors and system integrators.
- Assess internal customer BAS/BMS/IoT requirements and ensuring that these are met.
- Continually educate yourself and expand upon latest industry standards, trends and practices in the BAS industry.
- Troubleshoot and document controls and system objectives to maximize value delivery to customers while ensuring continual compliance Hatch Data’s information security policies.
- Effectively troubleshoot issues; be able to work with our team members, customers, and contractors to proactively resolve issues as they occur.
- As needed, for new or existing hardware and its configuration, create documentation for and provide training to applicable stakeholders (e.g. customers, team members, contractors, etc.).
- Vet hardware options, pilot new solutions to determine viability, and maintain a list of supported hardware devices and configurations for Operations as well as recommendations for customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent experience, required
- 3+ years of hands-on project/program management experience in the Building Automation field
- 5+ years of BAS controls programming and/or technician work
- Demonstrable experience in outward facing roles (client or partner) with strong communication skills
- Able to read and understand complex drawings, systems and other documentation
- Able to understand and train others on building controls and monitoring systems and connected systems and components
Skills and Qualifications:
- Comfortable living at the intersection between Project Management (supporting active installation/integration activities) and Product Management (identifying ways to improve current technologies or processes).
- Familiarity with building automation systems and communication protocols, including Tridium Niagara, BACNet, Modbus, OPC, and proprietary platforms from JCI, Siemens, Trane, Honeywell, and others.
- Experience and relationships with field hardware providers and installation contractors.
- Solid foundation in networking and security fundamentals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Able to develop and execute hardware testing plans.
- Highly motivated, resourceful, and resilient, with extraordinary capacity to learn and integrate new concepts.
- Mission-driven, smart, insightful, creative, honest, and candid.
- Exemplifies a growth mindset.
- Adept at problem-solving, demonstrates initiative to remedy problems without being prompted.
- Operationally minded, empathetic, self-starter, driven, and gets things done; delivers tangible results.
- Natural communicator that instills confidence and trust with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excited to join a rapidly growing small company, with big company benefits, and significant upside potential.
About Hatch Data:
Climate change is real. Addressing this is the biggest issue of our time. While moving the world from dirty energy sources to clean ones matters, there is also an enormous opportunity to use existing resources more efficiently. Buildings consume up to 40% of the energy in North America alone. This is a big opportunity to create change. We bring our values to work and everyday push to solve these problems at scale.
Our team applies their knowledge of energy systems, mechanical engineering, IoT, machine learning and the built environment, to design cutting edge software that reduces the negative environmental impact of our indoor spaces while improving the bottom line for owners and operators. Our software platform has been proven across more than 550M square feet of commercial real estate with marquee customers, and we’re doubling down our efforts in the coming months as we prepare to accelerate growth and impact.
This is a unique opportunity to join a company that “does well by doing good” and is positioned for significant expansion. You’ll enjoy comprehensive benefits, competitive salary, and meaningful equity. We offer a flexible work environment in our four primary locations (San Francisco, Boston, New York, Portland) and the opportunity to work alongside an incredibly talented, fun, and highly motivated team.
How to Apply:
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, feel free to provide any context you think would be helpful as we learn about you. We’ll be interested in understanding why you’re excited about joining us, why this role seems like a perfect fit for your talents, and what success looks like for you, personally, over the next five years.