At Span, we are building products that enable the rapid adoption of renewable energy like home solar, batteries, and electric vehicles. The Span Smart Panel replaces the standard electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home, providing revolutionary insights and home energy controls through the Span mobile app.
Span has been named one of the best home innovations in 2020 by Fast Company and one of the Forbes Top 20 IoT Startups to Watch, in addition to receiving multiple awards from the US Department of Energy and National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
To complement our rapid growth, we are seeking a passionate Senior Counsel / General Counsel to join our team. In this role, you will provide analysis and counsel for a wide range of legal matters. The ideal candidate has experience working at a fast-paced start-up. You will report to our CEO.
- Drafting and negotiation of agreements including; Pricing Agreements, Strategic Partnership Agreements and Supply Agreements
- Collaborate cross functionally with several teams including Finance, Sales, Supply Chain and Product
- Advise on employment, equity plan administration and executive compensation matters in partnership with our corporate law firm
- Manage the company’s intellectual property portfolio in partnership with our IP law firm
- Review draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including vendor agreements, master service agreements and nondisclosure agreements
- Manage option grant information and review employment agreements
- Support the continuous improvement of the company's legal processes
We are seeking a Senior Counsel / General Counsel who has:
- You have 7+ years of legal experience in a top-tier law firm and/or in-house company’s legal department
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and membership in good standing of the CA state bar
- Experience advising on corporate governance matters
- Willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters and high comfort level with a wide range of legal issues and subject matters
- Outstanding communication skills, an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a fast-paced and innovative business, and the flexibility to simultaneously manage multiple projects
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Experience working for a hardware company
- Experience working at a growing start-up
- Experience working in the renewable energy space
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation at a well-funded, venture-backed company
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- A sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain public transit
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities, board games nights, and other opportunities to connect with teammates - in-person and now virtually
- Equity grants at a quickly-growing startup
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- To be a part of a team and culture that is hard-working, has a good sense of humor, values collaboration, and is just a little bit nerdy
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.