At C16 Biosciences, we believe that palm oil doesn’t have to be a problem. Our team is building a sustainable and environmentally-friendly alternative to “conflict palm oil,” which relies on tropical rainforest deforestation and emits over 1 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. C16 Bio’s technology platform harnesses naturally-occurring biological processes, improved by the latest innovations in strain engineering, fermentation, and low-cost lipid extraction to produce a better kind of palm oil.
We’re hiring a Research Associate to help develop novel processes to improve the recovery of our fermentation products by conducting experiments to evaluate and optimize key process parameters. You will be a critical member of a tight-knit R&D team focused on developing a sustainable path for palm oil production.
What you’ll do
- Run lab scale extraction and purification experiments
- Run shake flask fermentation experiments
- Collaborate on experimental design of downstream experiments
- Record and manage data in our laboratory database
- Troubleshoot equipment and process issues and implement corrective actions
- Apply creative problem solving to improve laboratory operations
- Perform data analysis to understand the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams
- Familiarity with aseptic technique and microbiology lab equipment including biosafety cabinets, incubators, and autoclaves required
- Technical knowledge of extraction and purification processes strongly preferred
- Technical knowledge of fermentation processes preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- B.S. or M.S in chemical engineering, microbiology, or related field
- 1+ years of laboratory experience (or relevant internship experience)
Diversity at C16 Biosciences C16 Bio celebrates diversity in all its forms, we are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, and more.