At Volta we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta's award-winning charging stations benefit brands, consumers, and real-estate locations by providing valuable advertising space to businesses and convenient charging to drivers. Strategically located in places consumers already visit, Volta's chargers are currently the most used electric vehicle charging stations in the United States.
As an Applications Engineer, you will work on creating and improving existing Volta products ranging from simple hardware items to complex systems. You will work with the Product, Network Operations, and Site Sales teams to ensure Volta charging installations meet standards and are ideal for all end users. You will help create, test, and implement new products and processes related to charging station installations.
This is a highly collaborative technical role that requires engineering expertise, the ability to understand complex systems and components, and excellent written and verbal communications skills to communicate results and recommendations. This role will need to be able to spend time with small detailed tasks as well as understand big picture issues. We are looking for an individual that is self-motivated and proactive, who will drive all projects with a sense of urgency, and is passionate about seeing their work manifest in the acceleration of a sustainable future.
This is a full-time role, hiring for our headquarters in San Francisco.
- Provide operational and market insights from the field to inform Product team direction and prioritization
- Develop, vet, and test operational requirements on new products; support new product development
- Set up tests of new products, working closely with product, hardware, and software teams both in the field and at our HQ
- Create thorough and accurate test plans, test reports, and other documentation
- Create engineering/design and installation documentation for new products
- Manage pilot installations of new products when necessary
- Work with various Volta teams to source ideas for new products or sustaining projects for existing products
- Communicate and collaborate with stakeholders on multiple teams including Operations, Product Development, Sales, etc
- Bachelor’s degree or Engineering, Sciences, or a related field
- 2-4 years of work experience in a related technical field (hardware engineering, design engineer, project manager, installer, etc)
- 1+ years experience in a directly related role (test engineering, apps engineering, product management)
- Familiar with the engineering, permitting, construction, and maintenance processes of field equipment, such as EVSE, solar, etc.
- Comfortable reading, understanding, and utilizing single line diagrams, electrical systems, civil and construction concepts
- Knowledge of construction, engineering, and product codes and standards (ASCE, UL, etc)
- Mechanically inclined, comfortable and experienced with hand and power tools
- Highly organized and able to track multiple projects through multiple stages
- Excellent and technical written communicator
- Knowledge of CAD, 2-D, 3-D design tools
- Comfortable navigating CRM systems
- Builder, tinkerer, someone who makes things
- Experience with EVs