Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website
to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!About the Role:
The Food Safety and Quality Manager provides proactive leadership in developing, implementing, and monitoring company quality and food safety strategy and related requirements, policies, procedures, and training. The position serves as the lead for product recall execution, regulatory requirements, internal audits, GFSI, and FSMA. This includes the creation and maintenance of Food Safety Plans, and compliance with Food Defense, FSVP, Sanitary Transport, and any other current and future regulations. The Manager facilitates the document control program at the HQ and plant level including all programs, policies, and SOPs. Also responsible for tracking and presenting Food Safety KPIs, verifying activities associated with Preventive Controls, and handling customer complaint investigations. The manager will also establish a food safety and quality culture program.
- Develops and implements Quality and Food Safety policies and programs including internal quality standards, FSMA, GMP, EMP, Sanitation, Non-conforming material, etc.
- Own the vendor approval program and review various food safety documentation.
- Review, investigate and analyze customer complaints to determine root cause analyses and appropriate corrective actions.
- Create efficient document management protocols using available databases. Create, report, and monitor food safety KPIs.
- Build awareness, training, and education programs to drive cultural and behavioral changes.
- Develops and implements internal auditing programs to drive continuous improvement of Quality and Food Safety programs.
- Ensure auditors are calibrated and have the competency to be effective in driving continuous improvement. Lead team of QA Audit Supervisors as a calibration tool.
- Leads situational analysis, risk assessments, and recommendations to senior management on potential food safety/public health issues.
- Conducts preparedness exercises for responding to recall and withdrawal scenarios. During actual events, leads Recall teams to execute required activities as outlined in the program.
- Leads staff accountable for food safety plan Hazard Analysis and Process Preventive Controls, sanitation, and auditing. Trains, coaches and evaluates the performance of direct reports.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- People leadership and the ability to influence cross-functionally are essential.
- Experience building auditing programs, crafting QMS systems, and utilizing technology such as SharePoint are helpful.
- BS degree in Microbiology / Food Science / Chemistry or related area.
- At least 7 years industry food safety experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a food manufacturing environment including HACCP team experience. HACCP certification; SQF/BRC training, and Certification as Preventive Controls Qualified Individual.
- Minimum 3 years of people management experience.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving and project management skills including root cause analysis, risk assessment, and corrective/preventive action.
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all!
Details of Position:
- Full-time/ Exempt position reporting to the Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring discount towards your Imperfect Foods box!
- Domestic travel required
- Opportunity to work from home regularly
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and working hours as necessary
- Candidate can be remotely located within US time zones
- Domestic travel to new and existing facilities required as needed
- Ability to walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, and kneel
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds
- Occasional movement around the office may be necessary
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Able to work in cold temperatures in a refrigerated environment
- Exposure to all types of weather conditions
- Frequent driving may be necessary
- Domestic travel as necessary
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.