TO APPLY: Submit application here. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until Monday, May 24, 2021. LOCATION: New York, NY or Washington, DC
WHO WE ARE
Carbon180 is a new breed of climate-focused NGO on a mission to fundamentally rethink carbon. We know that our climate goals can only be met by rapidly reducing emissions and removing the carbon that already exists in our atmosphere. The good news? Carbon is much more than mere waste. We work at the intersection of science, business, and policy to champion solutions that transform carbon from a liability to an asset and foster a prosperous, carbon-conscious economy. Our team is based in Washington, D.C., with a few teammates that work remotely from other cities.
Carbon180 is seeking a Communications Associate to support our core organizational communications work. This role works across all of Carbon180’s program areas, bringing our brand to life and establishing the organization as a thought leader in the climate and carbon removal fields. You will provide critical writing, editing, and design support across all public communications channels, working strategically with members of the team to communicate compelling messages to our key audiences. This position will work closely with the Deputy Director of Communications and Senior Communications Associate.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
● Work alongside Carbon180’s Deputy Director of Communications and communications team to execute communications strategy, vision, and goals
● Manage C180 social media, including planning content, writing copy, growing followers, and designing original graphics
● Write, edit, and provide story support for Carbon180 publications across program areas including newsletters, blogs, reports, and
● Design a range of materials including infographics, blog imagery, and other visuals (e.g., GIFs, videos)
● Manage C180’s website, ensuring it is up to date and on brand
● Define and track key metrics for our online channels and use that information to optimize communications performance
● Generally, support and amplify the work of the C180 team
● Carbon180 is deeply committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees.
● The salary range for this position will be between $65,000 - $85,000, commensurate with candidate experience and adjusted for
cost of living in the location of the position.
WHO YOU ARE
Our ideal Communications Associate believes deeply in our mission. Beyond that:
● You like to write, and you’re good at it. People go to you to help them convey complex ideas in a compelling manner and in the
● You excel on a small, nimble team. You are flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, have a quick bounce-back time after a setback,
and get energy from building the plane as you fly it. You’re willing and excited to pitch in to support wherever needed to help the
team achieve its goals, even if it means stepping outside of your “lane.”
● You have an eagle eye for detail. Typos and grammatical errors are no match for you. Clear branding guidelines make your heart
● You’re comfortable getting into the weeds, but don’t stay there. You can quickly research, understand, and translate technical
subjects. Your storytelling skills to elevate our work in a way that inspires action.
● You nerd out on great graphic design. You have experience designing a range of materials and understand how visual presentation
impacts the efficacy of communications. You are confident working with subject matter experts to distill complex ideas into
● You’re not afraid to break the status quo. You’re familiar with industry best practices, but are ready to get creative and test new
ideas. You have a sixth sense for what feels passé, and are excited about forging new paths.
● You’re high impact, low-ego, maintain a sense of humor and optimism, and are kind to yourself and others. You take a
collaborative, consistent approach to work. You know that the way you show up each day impacts the people around you, and you're committed to being someone who brings up the “positivity quotient” of the team.
Beyond that, you will need:
● 0-2 years experience in communications, marketing, graphic design, or a related field
● Excellent communication skills, with proven writing, editing, proofreading, and graphic design prowess
● Demonstrated experience managing communications content and platforms
● A track record of sustained, high-quality work in fast-paced environments
● Refined project management skills, with a knack for staying organized and working across multiple competing projects and
● A healthy dose of climate rage and the determination to do something about it
● Experience using Adobe Creative Suite required, familiarity with Squarespace and Mailchimp a strong plus
● The deadline to submit your application is Monday, May 24, 2021.
● On the application, you’ll be asked to:
○ Answer some basic questions about your background / experiences,
○ Upload your most recent resume, and
○ In place of a cover letter, answer a few written reflection questions to help us learn more about your interest in joining our
team, and in this role specifically.
○ Complete a written assessment to highlight your writing skills.
● After the application deadline, we will review all applications and follow up with candidates to move through our interview process.
This process will include a phone screen, at least one (likely two) video interviews, and reference checks.
● If you have any questions or issues submitting an application, please email us at: email@example.com
At C180, we believe in living by an internal set of core values, which we strive to embody and celebrate in moments big and small.
● One Boat. We work hard to ensure that we are rowing in one direction as a team, aligning our work and resources to shared goals..
● Pencil to Pen. We think critically, do our research, and weigh multiple options. Then, we commit to move to action.
● Win + Lose Together. When one of us succeeds, we all win. When we encounter challenges, we determine how best to redirect the
energy and resources of the team to solve them.
● Person in the Professional. Our team is composed of real people with real passions, interests, and needs, within and outside of our
work. To be our best and most productive selves at work, we believe we need to care for ourselves and others.
● Make Space, Share Space. We believe in making space for all voices to be heard, within our team and our broader work -
particularly and especially voices historically disenfranchised and disproportionately impacted by the effects of climate change.
● Be a Window, Not a Door. We’re committed to transparency, and to shining light on how and why decisions are made. We are
honest with one another, ask for clarity, and operate with integrity to build a culture of trust.
● Grow the Braintrust. We are committed to constantly learning, and to staying up to speed on the science of our field. We work to
grow our knowledge, sharpen our skills, and to bring great minds to the field of carbon removal.
Carbon180 is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Carbon180 continually seeks to enrich its staff and team culture. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely different backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.