Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. About The Role:Bowery Farming is seeking a Controls Engineer to join our Farm Design's Continuous Improvement team and support our operations across our farms in NJ & MD. This position will work closely with our engineering, software, and data teams to develop automated solutions that are fully integrated with our BoweryOS for our indoor vertical farms. This job is based in NYC at our HQ and travels to our farms in NJ & MD. Expected travel: 50%
What You'll Do:
- Work with process engineers and design engineers to identify potential failure modes and propose, scope, and deliver automated mitigation methods.
- Retrofit and integrate standalone equipment with BoweryOS.
- Write equipment specifications based on business logic developed in conjunction with the software team. Work with vendors throughout the design, build, and installation to ensure the delivered solution is compliant.
- Lead validation and commissioning of new automated equipment.
- Troubleshoot automated equipment to find root cause and design and implement fixes.
Who You Are:
- You have experience managing fast track design/build projects or multiple significant upgrade projects
- You are able to read/write and troubleshoot PLC code (Allen Bradley preferred)
- You’ve worked with automation systems and are comfortable with concepts surrounding both the software, networking, and mechanical components
- You have knowledge of IoT 4.0 communication standards
- You have experience integrating automation equipment with SCADA systems
- You are experienced at leading Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and Site Acceptance Testing (SAT)
- You are a team player and work well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation
- You possess strong interpersonal skills and you're seen as a natural team leader
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.