Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. As a Design Engineer, you will work with our team of talented engineers and scientist in the design and development of physical systems in supporting our indoor farms to create the ideal conditions for growing and delivering the purest produce imaginable. A successful candidate will have the ability to operate within a face-paced ambiguous environment by leveraging their demonstrated background in developing physical systems through strong problem solving, project management, and internal motivation. Bowery encourages innovation and expects our team members to take ownership in solving complex problems.
What You’ll Do:
- Invent, design, and implement engineering solutions to physical systems, material flow and human interface.
- Lead and coordinate design and innovation efforts to develop optimal solutions for equipment specification, material flow, process design, site layout, and intellectual property considerations.
- Simultaneously manage multiple high visibility projects and tasks while effectively influencing, negotiating, and communicating with internal and external business partners, contractors and vendors.
- Collaboration with internal teams and external vendors to generate high quality, cost effective solutions in very short periods of time.
- Create design intent sets of drawings and basis of design (BOD) narratives, gathering internal stakeholder sign off as design sets become the basis for the next cohort of farms
- Lead validation and commissioning of new farm equipment.
- Travel to existing and future farms to assist with operations and construction/start-up activities.
- Ensure that all work is performed in compliance with the contract documents. Ensures delivered materials comply with approved submittals.
- Manage vendors and their supply of equipment for a network of farms (domestic and international)
Who You Are:
- Job related experience in Design/Innovation, Manufacturing/Process/Industrial Engineering, or related.
- Experienced at developing design documentation (functional specifications, operations manuals, mechanical and electrical schematics)
- Demonstrated experience designing solutions related to Material Handling, Automation, or facilities related
- Ability to use business/technical software such as Microsoft suite (Excel, Project, Word) and AutoCAD or similar software.
- Experience with defining basis of design (BOD) and standard documents, from conceptual ideas all the way through the design intent sets.
- Experienced leading and managing the approval of manufacturing drawings, inspection of equipment, and installation leading up to commissioning
- Experienced at leading Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and Site Acceptance Testing (SAT)
- Experience in implementing and training staff on SOPs
- You possess strong interpersonal skills – seen as a natural team leader
- You are a team player and work well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission
- You have the ability to multitask and prioritize diverse tasks, hit hard deadlines, and know when to escalate issues that arise
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation
- Ability to travel 50% domestically and internationally
Who We are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.