Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. About the Role:Bowery Farming is seeking a dynamic and experienced Software Engineering Manager who will lead & develop a team of software engineers at all levels. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you’ll join Bowery Farming at a critical point in our growth trajectory. You will be responsible for leading a team of talented software engineers who are a critical component to the success of how our high tech indoor vertical farms operate. Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms. The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix +Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and grow a diverse team of software engineers who create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming.
- Develop & inspire a team of engineers who will build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Work with Data & AI, Product, Hardware, Agricultural Scientists & Farm Operations teams to ensure we are building and delivering the best automated solutions for Bowery.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Lead in scaling systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who You Are:
- You have experience leading & mentoring a team who can develop and scale production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You are a strategic thinker, both technically and for Bowery.
- You have strong people management, coaching, developing, mentoring skills.
- You have experience & focus on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion while hiring and retaining staff.
- You love to collaborate with both internal and external teams for building better solutions.
- You have experience building excellent engineering processes that adapt to scale.
- You have experience working in a startup/high sense of urgency, ambiguous environment & have strong decision-making skills.
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.