Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land.
About The Role:Bowery is seeking a dynamic Farm Build Project Leader to support the fast-paced launch of our high-tech farms. Bowery’s farms are highly complex and offer customizable operations that grow, process, package, and sell fresh produce utilizing high degrees of automation, precision agricultural techniques, and food-safe operational processes. You’ll lead large, complex farm build and launch projects including the ability to effectively manage, influence and negotiate with external/internal business partners in order to meet organizational capacity demands. You will lead the cross functional business team required to launch new farms that meet the business needs (capacity / customer fulfillment, quality, safety, yield and cost effectiveness) whilst achieving timelines, staying within budget, driving standardization and consistency within our network. You will report to our VP of Build and Launch and will drive various functional teams and individuals at all levels of the organization. This role is based in Bowery’s headquarters in New York City and will require travel to our farms in NJ, MD and beyond.
What You’ll Do:
- Accountable for the overall integrated business delivery of assigned new farm build and launch through to market delivery of product.
- Coordinates with the team that executes all business, HR, technical, fiscal and administrative functions of the assigned farm launch projects
- Work with your peers across the business to balance various priorities and achieve the best overall results
- Communication across the company, which would include Farm Operations, Farm Design, Science & Tech, Safety, Supply Chain, Finance, Commercial, Marketing, HR as well as Vendors and General Contractors will be crucial·
- Supports & Leads while acting as the company representative with vendors and suppliers during project execution
- Responsible for the overall project schedule that enables the teams to be successful based upon the project milestones and launch day.
- Monitors and reports on the progress of all project activity within the project including significant milestones and any conditions which would affect project cost or schedule
Who You Are:
- You have experience leading and interacting with cross-functional teams
- You have experience managing large capital projects and aggressive schedule commitments.
- You have experience in a manufacturing and / or distribution environment including experience in complex project management, budgets and implementation with proven ability to design workable solutions and drive projects to successful implementation·
- You have a passion for getting the best quality goods to the final customers (you treat each leaf of lettuce like it’s going in your own salad)
- Seeing the big picture & thinking strategically is a strength, but you are also able to execute and implement ideas
- You are detail, action-oriented and you are energized by environments where there are always more problems to solve and systems to improve than time to do it
- You have a bias for customer orientation and are comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable when plans change
- You’re able to build quick rapport & trust-based partnerships internally & externally with all teammates, vendors, and partners
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.