Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. About the Role:Bowery Farming is seeking an experienced Industrial Engineering (Generalist with experience in Manufacturing and Process simulation) to join our Farm Design’s Industrial Engineering Services team to design and implement operational/manufacturing best practices in Bowery’s modern farms. You will establish operational standards, perform analysis and create process designs to continuously improve Bowery’s efficient systems and work on topics spanning facility and workflow layouts, labor optimization (including ergonomics and economy of motion), new farm capacity and labor planning and production systems integration. Your work would put you in daily interaction with Bowery’s Engineering team, BoweryOS software team, and Farm and Business operations teams to drive innovation and best practices for our current farms as well as our roadmap of farms in development. This opportunity is based in NYC area with an estimated travel of 50% to Bowery farms.
What You'll Do:
- Apply industrial engineering, manufacturing and operations thinking to Bowery’s production system (from “seed to store”) and play a core role developing the human and materials flows in our existing and future farms with a focus on end-to-end efficiency
- Develop farm level simulations, prototypes and metrics to inform system and workflow design changes, and educate the broader company around these tools and their value
- Work with Bowery’s farm operations and engineering teams to optimize how each process is performed ergonomically, how process flows balance, how techniques evolve, and where and when additional automation is implemented
- Evaluate existing processes for inefficiencies to identify areas of opportunity and propose scalable, robust solutions with ROI justification
- Partner with the software engineering, data and finance teams to collaborate as it relates to defining labor standardization, optimization and manufacturing best practices
- Create and maintain SOPs and assist with training trainers and Operations team
- Ensure that our farms and work processes adhere to stringent worker and food safety regulations and Bowery’s high standard of quality
- Develop relationship with vendors, partners and advisors who can supply additional expertise, technologies, and practices
- Partner with AgSci, AgOps, Tech and Operations teams to develop control strategies that ensure Bowery customers are provided a consistent, high quality product
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree in process engineering, manufacture engineering industrial engineering or similar field.
- 5+ years of experience in process/industrial engineering roles
- Experienced in Manufacturing and Process Simulation to visualize and analysis existing and future facility flow
- Proven track record in working identifying opportunities for improvements, process design, productivity and efficiency improvement
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation
- A team player who works well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission
- You possess strong interpersonal skills – seen as a natural team leader
- Nice to Have
- Master's degree in Industrial engineering or related field (like Operations Research)
- Lean, Six-Sigma or other process improvement certifications
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.