Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. This is an opportunity to join a growing team of electrical, mechanical and software engineers and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. Hardware engineering at Bowery involves developing electronics solutions that power a modern farm and provide tools for agricultural R&D. This involves unique industrial control systems, environmental sensor technology, data collection, computer vision systems, and farm automation. You’ll be involved with idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of mechanical solutions for our Bowery IoT fleet. Our current hardware technologies are facilitated by the industrial version of the Raspberry Pi, Altium Designer (ECAD), SolidWorks (MCAD), the Nerves IoT platform, and AWS integration. We currently have thousands of Bowery designed IoT devices deployed on-premise in our farms running on our in-house BoweryOS system.
What You'll Do
- Create innovative IoT solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside electrical engineers, data scientists, software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Design the mechanical elements of our IoT and sensor products and carry them through the entire product lifecycle.
- Support manufacturing of our BoweryOS IoT solutions for deployment in new Bowery farms.
- Contribute to innovative R&D projects that advance our understanding of plant health and the state of Bowery’s modern farming technology platform and capabilities.
- Alongside the BoweryOS and other cross-functional partnerships, identify opportunities to optimize our process, our work, and propose solutions to unique challenges.
Who You Are:
- You are an experienced mechanical engineer who is comfortable designing products for embedded IoT devices and integrated sensors
- You are energized by new challenges and working in emerging spaces
- You have built products that have scaled and been manufactured in large quantities
- You have worked with numerous manufacturing materials and techniques including injection molding, water jet cutting, vacuum forming, die cutting, and/or metal forming
- You are familiar with NEMA ratings, IP ratings, and know how to design for harsh environments
- You have experienced several product life cycles from start to finish
- You are familiar with the tools and methods of rapid prototyping
- You are proficient in 2D and 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.