Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. About the Role:
Product Managers at Bowery create technology strategy, steer our technology teams as they execute the plan, and manage the ongoing lifecycle of products we’ve deployed. The stakeholders are many and varied. Each need will require a well-formulated business case that comprehends effort, returned value, and the prioritization amongst competing interests. Well documented returns will drive the pace of investment for the BoweryOS team. The BoweryOS team spans the disciplines of software, hardware, analytics, and machine learning to provide solutions across the business. Our technology products are central to how Bowery operates and improves with focus areas in Automation, Agriculture, Commercial, and Work Management. Product Managers work cross-functionally alongside the BoweryOS team technology team to facilitate the strategy for creation and ongoing support of the Bowery Operating System and beyond.
What You'll Do:
- Working cross-functionally with engineering, data science, farm operations, farm development, agricultural science, marketing, finance and sales to determine function and priority of new and existing applications
- Develop methods and systems for rapid prototyping
- Lead iterative development of existing applications
- Engage directly with stakeholders on the ground in our production farms and R+D facilities
- Responsible for launch of new products which includes ensuring a smooth handoff and continued enablement of products to other teams within the company
- Own the intake process for requests and feature ideas related to BoweryOS development.
- Analyze and act on business metrics and data to grow the capabilities of our Farms and supporting operations.
Who You Are:
- You have a keen product intuition and an empathetic design sensibility, with a strong desire to discover and fulfill the needs of who you build for.
- You are highly self-directed, excited by questions that do not have obvious answers, extremely observant, and insightful; they possess a strong product design sense and the motivation to continually iterate to build best-in-class products.
- You’re comfortable managing in all directions - up, across, and down
- You’re confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- Hardware and Machine Learning product experience a plus
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.