Bowery Farming, the Modern Farming Company, was founded in 2015 with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, the BoweryOS, Bowery builds smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach. Bowery’s farms are growing the next generation of vibrant and flavorful produce. They’re 100 times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture, and grow traceable pesticide-free produce – the purest, best expression of what produce is meant to be – with a fraction of the water and land. About the Role:
This is an opportunity to join a growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms.The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix + Vue.js
/ React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What You’ll Do:
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Optimize crop cycles and workflow schedules to improve yields and make the best use of time in the farm.
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who You Are:
- You have experience developing and scaling production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful monitoring and alerting.
- You’ve used implementations of protocols like MQTT, XMPP, and AMQP to handle messaging between services in a distributed system.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You are able to establish scope of assigned tasks, execute on them, and independently communicate status updates.
- You participate in code reviews and give constructive feedback to peers
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
The largest vertical farming company in the U.S., Bowery’s produce is available in almost 800 grocery stores and via e-commerce platforms serving the Tri-state and Mid-Atlantic region, including Amazon Fresh, Albertsons, Giant Food, Hungryroot, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers. Based in New York City, Bowery has raised more than $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek and GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, and Dara Khosrowshahi, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andres, and David Barber of Blue Hill.