A little about us:
We’re an early stage, stealth startup with the audacious but necessary goal of decarbonizing the fashion supply chain, a trillion dollar sector that accounts for about 10% of global emissions. We think it’s pretty preposterous that most brands aren’t able to figure out exactly where and how their products are made (try as they might), and therefore don’t even have the option of measuring environmental impacts (never mind the ability to reduce them). We’re building a solution that will give brands the visibility and actionable insights to decarbonize their supply chain and produce net zero emissions apparel.
As Director of Science, you’ll own scientific strategy and implementation, taking us from zero to one, and then from one to 100. For the next year, you’ll be a one person department, and you might bring on third parties to support your work. As we grow up, you’ll identify key roles and team gaps as they arise, and recruit and scale a stellar team of scientists.
Things you’ll spearhead:
- Draft detailed product category rules that enable brands to consistently calculate the lifecycle impacts of natural fiber apparel.
- Collect primary data on fiber cultivation, ginning, spinning, weaving, dyeing, and cutting/sewing.
- Determine the best way to measure soil carbon content in the near term, while keeping your finger on the pulse of new innovations and technology.
- Source secondary data to calculate transportation, consumer use, and end of life impacts.
- Advise our product team as they build an impact calculator. You'll provide the scientific expertise that will inform and direct many important decisions.
- Identify the steps farms and factories should be taking each year to decarbonize and use less water.
- Draft monthly and annual roadmaps and progress reports.
You may be the right candidate if . . .
None of these are requirements, just the kinds of people and experiences we think could be most successful here.
- You have an advanced degree in Environmental Science or equivalent experience.
- You're an LCA practitioner and well versed in the gamut of databases and tools (GaBi, EcoInvent, Higg MSI, etc.), as well as the leading standards (ISO, GHG Protocol, etc).
- You have deep agriculture expertise (you'll be measuring farm level impacts)
- You’re solutions oriented, especially about climate change.
- You’re self-driven, strategic, resourceful, entrepreneurial.
- You’re collaborative and consider brands and suppliers to be important partners who offer integral insight.
- You communicate clearly to non-technical people, and you’re able to empathize with brands seeking to reduce impacts but coming to the table with little prior knowledge of the science and process involved.
- You enjoy being in the trenches as much as high level management. You’ll be executing (not managing) for at least a year, while simultaneously zooming out on the big picture and thinking strategically.
- You identify as both a student and a teacher.
- You’re excited to work at the intersection of regenerative agriculture, materials science, clean energy, and supply chain.
- You’re available for PST working hours (we’re based in LA and open to a distributed team).
Things to consider:
- It’s early, and we’re tiny. Our idea is validated by an overwhelmingly positive response from brands and suppliers ready to pay for our solution (knowing it hasn’t been built yet), but we will be a founding team of four people turning that idea into a business.
- We’ll be scaling fast, and we’re looking for people who can handle the pressure.
- We’re looking for opinionated, insightful people who engage in healthy dialogue and debate, and who get on board when a consensus is reached so we can move forward as a team.
- We’re a for-profit business that makes money exclusively from reducing harmful environmental impacts. We’re looking for people who are driven first and foremost by the environmental impact opportunity. The potentially huge financial reward is deserved and significant, but a distant second.
Why you might be excited about us:
- Our vision and plans are big. We’re aiming to measure our impact in gigatons of CO2e.
- You’ll have real agency and ownership and deal with zero bureaucracy.
- The right person will receive significant equity.
- You’ll set your own hours and work where you choose. We won’t be opening an office for at least a year, and you can choose to remain distributed longterm.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are actively recruiting a diverse founding team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If this sounds like a pursuit that you might like to dedicate your time and talent to for years to come, please apply below.
Carbon Accounting & Offsetting, Consumer Goods, Energy, Food & Agriculture, Materials & Manufacturing, Pollution & Waste Reduction
Conservation Agriculture, Farm Irrigation Efficiency, Managed Grazing, Microgrids, Regenerative Annual Cropping, Silvopasture