Our mission is to radically reduce food waste and make fresh, nutritious food available to all. In the multi-trillion dollar global food industry, fresh foods are the most strategically important category. At the same time, most technology has been built for non-perishable items that come in boxes and have barcodes—much unlike fresh produce and other fresh items. This technology gap drives hundreds of billions of dollars of inefficiency every year—inefficiency that manifests as food waste that harms our environment and lost profits that harm the bottom line of thin margin food companies.
Afresh's A.I.-powered, fresh-first solutions optimize ordering, forecasting, and store operations for brick-and-mortar grocers. The results are powerful: grocers using Afresh are on track to reduce more than 20M pounds of food waste annually, while growing operating margin by 40%, and increasing fresh sales by 3%.
As one of the first members on Afresh's Business Operations and Strategic Finance team, you will be exposed to senior leadership, collaborating with members from across the company. You will build scalable systems to support our rapid growth and ensure that we're operating as a well-oiled machine. Using financial and performance data, you will drive insights and help leadership in their strategic decision making.
We are looking for someone who is driven to affect positive human and environmental impact, who is excited to seek new challenges, and who wants to work with a driven team (that doesn't take itself TOO seriously).
We are a hardworking team united by our mission to make an impact in the food system—we hope you'll join us!
What will you be doing?
- Partner with Afresh's leadership team, lead strategic projects and perform analyses to drive major decisions for the company
- Craft scalable systems and organizational structures that support Afresh's rapid growth and ensure the highest quality of execution
- Improve predictability /forecasting capabilities of financials and business metrics
- Own financial reporting and analysis, including monthly and quarterly reporting to the senior leadership team, investors and board members
- Assist in preparing materials for the executive team, including board decks, investor materials and other executive updates
What skills and experience do you need?
- The following represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- 4+ years of experience in a Business Operations, Strategic Finance, or cross-functional operational role at a high-growth technology company
- Strong attention to detail and ability to utilize data to resolve decisions
- Strong financial modeling and forecasting skills
- Strong analytical abilities and proficiency with Excel and Powerpoint (SQL is a plus)
- Fluency in coordination across functional partners and ability to effect change within a rapidly growing enterprise
- Ability to work independently and within ambiguity and a strong sense of ownership
- Excellent written and verbal reasoning and communication skills
- Strong alignment with our core values: Kindness, Candor, Proactivity and Humility
Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We partner with grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue and by the end of 2021, 10% of produce sold by US grocers will be ordered through Afresh. Our ground breaking AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), James McCann's (former CEO at Ahold USA, Tesco, Carrefour) Food Retail Ventures, Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.