Director – Financial Systems
Generate Capital is hiring a Director – Financial Systems to own the financial systems which are the backbone of operating Generate Capital. The mission of this role is to manage our financial systems, improve the time to close our accounting books, improve the accuracy of our forecasting, improve the productivity of all employees who leverage our financial systems, enable seamless financial reporting for internal and external stakeholders, and leverage technology as a key differentiator for Generate Capital.
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are a highly analytical, hard-working, and self-directed individual who is excited by the opportunity to work across the business on the financial systems to scale and operate the business.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as a Director Financial Systems:
- Work cross functionally across business units including Finance, Asset Operations, Legal, Capital Markets, People Operations and Executives to deliver technology requirements, systems, and to map out new workflows that will scale our financial systems
- Set and manage the long-term vision for financial system initiatives across the company. Communicate the vision and gain alignment across the company
- Manage systems for ERP, General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, Financial Planning and Analysis, Treasury, and communicate a prioritized backlog of near term and long-term technology priorities
- Manage integrations across internal systems as well as external financial providers
- Implement workflows, validation rules and robotic process automation to increase the quality of our financial data and automate processes to close the books faster
- Communicate and drive cross functional change management to adopt new tools
- Drive a data driven culture throughout the organization
- Drive cross functional workflows to improve collaboration between teams
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Strong work ethic and commitment to a high standard of excellence
- Superb analytical skills
- Ability to work across multiple stakeholders and complex systems
- Detail orientation and meticulousness with an uncompromising desire for timeliness and accuracy of data
- Proven ability to balance multiple assignments and manage quality, accuracy, and consistency of each work product
- Ability to operate autonomously and exceed expectations despite minimal guidance
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility to do whatever it takes and ability to succeed in ambiguous situations
- Proven ability to manage large workloads to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate findings of analyses
- Resourceful and creative in approach to research and problem-solving
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Intellectual agility and curiosity
- Ability to work well in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people in challenging and complex endeavors
- Unimpeachable character, strong values orientation, and a cultural fit with a rapidly growing investment firm
- 8-10 years of work experience with financial systems including customizing and integration with ERP systems. Experience with Microsoft Business Central and Salesforce is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree with high academic achievement; Engineering, other technical or graduate degree a plus
- Experience in energy, finance preferred
- Experience improving workflows with financial accounting, forecasting and invoicing
- Strong references from prior employers and peers
This position will be based in our San Francisco, CA office.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, gender identity, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Distributed Energy Storage, Electric Cars, Farm Irrigation Efficiency, Micro Wind Turbines, Offshore Wind Turbines, Public Transit, Waste-to-Energy