We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
The Remote Assistance system uses human intuition to assist our Autonomous Vehicles in exciting situations. The Remote Assistance software engineering team is truly full-stack with autonomous vehicle (AV), frontend, and backend software engineers working together and with teams across Cruise to deliver a complex product that ensures every Cruise passenger reaches their destination.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join Remote Assistance Engineering. In this role you will develop new software capabilities, provide technical leadership and help evolve the system architecture to scale with Cruise.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead and grow a highly effective, high-output team of software engineers
- Ensure high-functioning, high-output team delivers quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, low-latency, reliable, testable production code
- Coach and support Individual Contributors enabling effective cross-functional collaboration between feature and project teams across Cruise
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, engaging candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
What you must have:
- Previous experience as an engineering Manager or Tech Lead providing day-to-day guidance to software engineers
- Proven track record of shipping production quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Previous (8+ years) experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, low-latency, streaming distributed systems. e.g. video streaming, audio streaming, or other high-bandwidth, low-latency data delivery over unreliable networks
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching engineers
- High agency and a passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Demonstrated ability to understand and set the architectural direction of pre-existing large-scale C++ software projects spanning multiple teams and years of active, intensive development
- A track record of successfully planning and executing on strategic investments in technical debt and refactoring of legacy systems with a focus on accelerating the overall delivery pace of an organization
- Demonstrated skill in managing trade-offs between investing in immediate engineering excellence, funding incremental improvements, and delivering business value to an existing system vs. “green-field” development
Experience in any of the following areas:
- Demonstrated WebRTC expertise
- Demonstrated experience leading the design or implementation of a large-scale teleoperations or remote assistance robotics system
- Demonstrated expertise in autonomous vehicle motion planning and perception
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.