Are you looking to make a difference in the world? Boston Meats is revolutionizing the food industry by solving a major global challenge: how to make meat production ethical and sustainable. Going beyond the existing plant-based burgers, we are developing alternative meat whole-cuts using innovations in materials science, synthetic biology, and tissue engineering. This will transform how the world consumes meat and protein. Spun out of Harvard University and the Wyss Institute in 2020, Boston Meats is actively recruiting our core technical team.
We are seeking a biochemistry Research Scientist to join our team immediately to help with lab research and development of a new class of alternative meat products (plant-based and cultured meat). You must have a strong knowledge of protein, polysaccharide or other food-related materials' chemistry and their processing. In your critical role, you will lead the production and characterization of food textures through ingredient selection and modification. You will also support bench-level scale-up studies to transform our proprietary manufacturing method into a commercial-ready process.
- You are a biochemist rockstar – everyone fights to have you on their team.
- You have 5+ years of experience (PhD or industry) and a proven track record of synthesizing biopolymers or extracting proteins, either in industry or academia.
- You are well-versed in protein structure-function relations, modulation, and characterization.
- You are a scientist/engineer first and foremost but have other skills as well – you can interface comfortably with vendors, partners, and investors. You are ready to wear many hats and get stuff done.
- You either have existing knowledge or interest in food chemistry, formulation, and processes used in food manufacturing.
- You are an expert in food processing technologies and equipment for plant ingredients. You understand food engineering, analytical testing, and processes used in food manufacturing.
- You are an experimentalist first and foremost but have other skills as well – you can interface comfortably with vendors, customers, and investors. You are ready to wear many hats and get stuff done.
- You want to grow with the company, support new hires, and, over time, manage a team of passionate individuals like yourself.
- You have a passion to change the world for the better. You are not just looking to cash a paycheck – what you do for work matters to you deeply.
- You’ll help develop chemistries and processing methods to produce new food materials/products.
- You’ll work in wet and prototype labs, designing and executing research studies to verify food formulation recipes and performance.
- You’ll design and refine manufacturing equipment for food products.
- You’ll contribute operationally to Boston Meats by working with the founders to help grow our business!
At Boston Meats, we are deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion. Our goal is to create an environment and company culture where people from all walks of life can come together in an inclusive manner and be an amazing force for good!
Ecosystems & Biodiversity, Food & Agriculture, Materials & Manufacturing, Research & Education