Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. Our mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We have created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
We are looking for talented technical interns to join our team! CFS interns are highly valued within the organization and placed into meaningful and challenging roles.
This intern will be placed in the engineering matrix organization under the R&D department. The intern will be responsible of providing mechanical/manufacturing engineering, electromechanical and CAD support to multiple projects in R&D.
- 12-16 week internship program
- 40-50 hours per week with set hourly salary based on year in school
- Internship are typically located in Cambridge, MA and we are open to discussing remote options in consideration of Covid-19 and everyone's safety. If an Intern is going to be on site, you will be responsible for your own transportation and housing
- Opportunities available for college students in all levels of schooling from bachelor’s degree to PhD
- Interns must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer
This team member will:
- Providing design integration support to all projects in NX: CAD model creation, mechanical drawing creation, GD&T, dimensional analysis
- Coordinate with vendors to ensure quality delivery from mechanical drawings
- Design and build testing rigs, system samples and other hardware needed by projects
- Aid in design of manufacturing systems and tests
- Plan and conduct sub-system level tests with magnet systems engineers
- Create robust and in-depth documentation of testing campaigns as a part of the verification and validation requirements for each project
- Support control systems integration when necessary
- If applicable, perform FEA on sub-scale systems for quick verification
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Minimum of two years of course work towards a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering or Electrical engineering (sophomore or above)
- GPA: If possible >3.2 (preferred)
- At least 1 prior internships with exposure to design/manufacturing processes (required)
- Experience in GD&T (required)
- Experience in a CAD platform (NX preferred) – Solidworks, Creo (required – skillset required specific software preferred)
- Experience machining and rapid prototyping (Preferred)
- Some experience in FEA (preferred)
- Some experience with control/electro-mechanical systems (preferred)
- Understanding of common industry manufacturing processes
- Basic understanding of lean engineering principles
- Great communication and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Self- motivation and autonomy
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.