Joro empowers people to take climate action that matters. Through our mobile app, see the carbon impact behind your spending, automatically offset everything you buy, and build community to tackle the biggest crisis of our generation. We’re a seed-stage startup, backed by top investors including Sequoia and the founders of Headspace and Fitbit. We’ve been featured in Fast Company, TechCrunch, and Crunchbase.
Want to design a solution that mobilizes millions of people to take action on climate change? Looking for real ownership over your work, a tight-knit, collaborative team, building the next big thing from the ground up? We’d love to meet you.
Joro is looking for a Lead Designer who is passionate about designing beautiful, engaging mobile experiences and climate justice. You will be the sole designer on the team, with the unique opportunity to help build a team as the company grows. You will lead design strategy, UX and UI design, and UX research. You will balance your time between being hands-on at the project level and working with our executive team on strategy.
We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply. Please apply even if you don't meet all of these requirements.
What You’ll Do
- Own the end-to-end product design process for Joro’s digital experience
- Define the user experience and visual design of your solutions from conception through shipping and beyond
- Work closely with the CEO to prioritize and develop a clear design roadmap
- Create and convey project goals, requirements, and constraints at a team and executive level
- Jump in as needed to shephard design requests such as illustration, brand updates, website design, and marketing asset design
- Use research techniques, competitive analysis, and data to inform strategic and tactical design decisions
- Lead customer research to deeply understand user needs
- Develop, communicate and drive forward a product vision and strategy based on research
- Drive decision-making among product, marketing, engineering, and key stakeholders
- Design flows, optimizations and interfaces that are effective, simple, and engaging
- 8+ years working as a product designer.
- Equally comfortable strategizing on product design priorities as rolling up your sleeves to deliver projects.
- Strong portfolio in UX / UI design, with in-depth experience with designing digital services for consumer mobile applications
- Deep empathy skills and a relentless focus on the user.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Clear and constructive communicator, open to criticism.
- Obsessive over the details of optimizing flows.
- Proven experience delivering features on cross-functional teams from inception to shipping.
- Experience designing an early stage product for scale.
- Excellent visual design and communication skills; this isn’t a purely UX role. You understand how to convey simplicity and clarity with visual language.
- Eager to robustly test and iterate on your ideas with prototypes and user feedback.
- Comfortable with multivariate (A/B) testing and learning in your design process, and proving design impact via evidence (qualitative and quantitative measures).
Carpooling, Health and Education, Plant-Rich Diets, Reduced Food Waste